December 17, 2017, 03:03:29 AM

Author Topic: what can this do?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
what can this do?
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:44 AM »
http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-sentinel-bow.html

Wouldnt deer hunt with a 20 lber but what other stuff could be taken with it. Do those even shoot very far?

I'm definitely getting this
http://www.airgundepot.com/nc-star-crossbow-with-red-dot.html

90 pound draw and a red dot sight. Its only $37 so i dont care if it breaks.

[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: what can this do?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Man, all I can say is that you're going to get what you pay for. :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
yeah but they are so cheap just looks like fun stuff to play with. i want to try some fishing line bolts on squirrels

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
The 20 lb bow isn't going to be worth much of anything.  I used to work at one of the state Conservation Education Camps run by the KDFWR when I was in college.  We had some little 20 lb recurves down there for smaller kids that couldn't pull the 25 lb compounds.  You could literally put your fingers on the string and your thumb around the back of the bow and squeeze the two together. :roll:  They weren't that accurate either. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
I'm with BC on the bow. It gets a little weird trying to shoot a bow that is so light so have no feel for it or your posture. I takes a bit of weight just to steady your hand.
 The cross bow might be alright for squirrel at very close range. 90 # sounds strong but it ain't so. A lot of mechanical dynamics come into play here. Somewhere I think I might still have a link to an explanation as to why crossbows are such heavy pull weights. Without going into alot of physics mumbo-jumbo, suffice it to say there are real world reasons a 150 lb crossbow is maybe as fast as a good 60 lb compound bow. At 90 lb, that might equate to about a 40 lb bow. The name NC Star already leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They flooded the market with cheap junk scopes a few years ago, so my expectations are more of the same with anything they have to offer. The design of the crossbow is a rip-off of a design sold by Barnett years ago. (Barnett Commando) I like the break-over/ self cocking design, but after doing some research I found that Barnett had trouble with it. The main problem being the pivot point wearing and the cast alum frame breaking at that pivot point. You can bet the chinese (NC Star) aren't building them near as beefy as the one Barnett sold ( made in Great Britton, I believe) and therefore won't last as long and may be down right dangerous to use.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
Without going into alot of physics mumbo-jumbo, suffice it to say there are real world reasons a 150 lb crossbow is maybe as fast as a good 60 lb compound bow.

The difference is the length of the "power stroke" (distance the string travels).  Essentially, on a vertical bow, the string pushes the arrow for a longer distance than on a crossbow. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
well ,  i wouldnt expect the  crossbow to last that long its obviously made cheaply.  I dont care if i break it but if its going to shoot a bolt into my arm when it breaks ill steer away from ordering it. Cant find a lot of info on google about it they dont seem very popular.  The fishing rod thingy is what really seems fun. I know it wouldnt be as efficient for hunting as meh pellet rifle with a scopez, except maybe on a turkey but i doubt it.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »
Cheaply made stuff is usually more dangerous to the user.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
Cheaply made stuff is usually more dangerous to the user.

Yeah, it's a wonder Savage rifles have killed and maimed more people than they have.....  :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
Yeah, it's a wonder Savage rifles have killed and maimed more people than they have.....  :roll:
  :shock: :tickedoff :knuppel2 ;D Still better than those fencepost Marlins!  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments