October 20, 2017, 12:22:08 PM

Author Topic: average size of deer  (Read 1686 times)

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
average size of deer
« on: October 24, 2003, 12:36:00 AM »
what's the average points/weight of bucks and does in your hunting area?

southern illinois has blessed us with bucks anywhere between about 6-12 points weighing approx. 175- 200. does are usually around 140- 180.  

tell us about your neck of the woods. :D
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
average size of deer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 06:10:19 AM »
Central KY area has the does about 100-120 lbs for a 2.5-3.5 year old.  The bucks (for the same age class) are about 150-175 lbs and will have a rack usually about 8-10 pts.

As far as the "average" buck taken, you're talking 1.5 year olds.  They'll weigh about 110-120 lbs and have a 4-6 pt. rack.  Way too many 1.5 year old bucks are taken though (for my liking).  The primary factor in developing big bucks is age.  Dead deer don't grow! :(
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
average size of deer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 02:37:00 AM »
my weights might have been a little high but i'm estimating, ya know. kinda like a fishermans story, each time you tell it, it gets bigger. i agree, if ya shoot em when there lttle guys, you're not gonna have any big ones. IL has always promoted shooting does, of course to keep the population under control. they do the same thing down in KY?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
average size of deer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 06:14:04 AM »
Yeah, we call it "Doe Eradication". :x   About 1/4 of the counties are classed as Zone 1, which means you can take an UNLIMITED number of does.  Only problem with that is that the population is not as high as the KDFWR says it is in some areas.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Aussie Joe

average size of deer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 12:45:49 AM »
The closest deer to me are Hog and Sambar.  A Hog deer weighs anywhere between 30 and 60 kilograms, antlers have 6 tines (unless deformed).  Sambar are BIG, weighing anywhere from 100 for a young stag to 300 kilograms, antlers are solid and generaly have 6 tines.  Hog are hunted from tree stands over tussock and dunes, but Sambar are hunted by dog or stalking in very rough steep terrain.
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
average size of deer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 07:45:36 PM »
Hey Aussie Joe, what's the conversion from kilos to pounds???  You're going to have to post some pictures of these critters so we can see what we're "missing out on"!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
average size of deer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 02:11:57 PM »
hey aussie joe. are you saying that some of the deer there have hollow antlers. was asking because you specified that one of the species that you hunt have solid antlers? all of our deer type animals(whitetails, muleys, elk, moose) have solid antlers. :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
average size of deer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 07:19:05 PM »
I think it may be a horn/antler thing.  Horns are made of hair and are generally hollow (except for the "stuff" inside).  Antlers are bone.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments