December 11, 2017, 07:41:34 PM

Author Topic: Got me a doe today  (Read 3089 times)

april

Got me a doe today
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:02:02 PM »
I was hunting this set-up:

watching the bottoms of the hollow I was on...and I saw 2 does come out on the top of another (almost 2 hollows away--lil past that telephone pole in the pic), roughly 400 yards. I made a shooting stick to take along incase of that happened, so I decided to take a shot. I wanted the smaller of the two, but it was steady moving and I didn't want to take a shot at a moving deer from that distance. So, I took the bigger, who was just standing there. She was slightly quartered away, and so I couldn't get the shot I wanted. So, I just aimed almost a foot over her and shot her in the neck.
Then the fun began....as you can see, those are big hollows (hills) She went into the woods and went up and over 3 of them before she fell down. She bled a good steady trail the entire time...saw where she fell in 5 different spots..and towards the end, was some good orange and pink matter.
Took almost 3 hours to get that ol girl outta the woods. Had to gut her where she lay, but she was an old doe, and I guesstimate she weighed about 135 lbs.
Anyhow..I had a blast..been going every day for a while..and this is the first one I've taken so far this year. Can't wait to get back out there. ;)
Here's the ol girl..you can see the exit wound...

april

Got me a doe today
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »
Oh yes....I was using a .270 mag Weatherby :D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Got me a doe today
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 02:01:56 AM »
I'm surprised she went that far! You did good, April! :!:  :D  :D  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Lopalong

• Applied for my club membership...
Got me a doe today
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 10:19:22 AM »
Grats April.  Job well done.  :D
Sometimes I wake up grumpy, sometimes I let her sleep in.

april

Got me a doe today
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 01:03:59 PM »
Thanks guys! :D
John, I was an inch or so from hitting the bone. I really wanted to make the shot I made so I could try and drop her. But, just didn't work out that way.  :?
But I figure I was pretty dead on ....considering..lol. :wink:

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Got me a doe today
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 06:33:24 PM »
Way to go Miss April!!  8)    :twisted:  :twisted:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
Got me a doe today
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 09:37:33 PM »
thats awesome and that was a nice shot
 :D
i love shootin squirrel in the head

april

Got me a doe today
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 10:20:50 PM »
thanx guys :wink:

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Got me a doe today
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 10:45:21 PM »
That was an awesome shot!!!!   very well done!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

april

Got me a doe today
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 11:48:28 PM »
Thanks firekidd. :wink:

Facebook Comments