November 20, 2017, 07:34:07 PM

Author Topic: squirrel scramble  (Read 1483 times)

Offline ray40cal

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
squirrel scramble
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/feb/06/squirrel-scramble/

neat

Its close to home, and the winner gets a .22 rifle :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:41:29 PM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: squirrel scramble
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
So, you going to sign up?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
If I was ray, or if I lived near there, I would already be signed up!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
im trying to figure out when it starts ;) 

Tongie is a little town.   If i sit in my backyard with a pellet rifle i can definitely win. Think i'd rather go up to perry lake where there's some real big squirrels since no one ever squirrel hunts it. Wouldnt have to use a pellet rifle either ;)

Friggin commies need to give me back teh guns else, i'll buy up a whole new set and telle m to F**** OFF

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »
When I was a kid, our city fathers decided we had too many squirrels in our big city park of Burlington, in SE Iowa. They thought the overpopulation was killing the trees  :idiot2 :crazy2 :uglystupid2 ;D so the local PD was elected to mount and conduct a squirrel hunt with shotguns. My dad was one of the officers that enjoyed the hunt and slaughter of the dumbest squirrels on our planet.

Dad got off duty that night at 11PM and arrived home with gunnysacks full of dead squirrels. We stayed up all night cleaning squirrels and were glad to finish the task. We enjoyed a lot of fried squirrel that year!

Fifteen miles north of here is the small Iowa town of Mediapolis. For many years they had a town shotgun hunt for pidgeons that was open for anyone interested. All good things don't last, it seems. Yep, some moron bleeding hearts finally got the hunt discontinued.  :sad: :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Mouse1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
Of all the papers to put that in, geez, Lawrence is one tree hugging city. 

Newbie here, from Topeka, first post.  Been a lurker for some time.  I just bought a Marlin 917V, put a Bushnell 3-9X40 Sportsman on it and going to zero this Saturday.  Like ray40cal said, I too plan on thining the herd on the north end of Perry Lake!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:27 AM »

Newbie here, from Topeka, first post.  Been a lurker for some time.  I just bought a Marlin 917V, put a Bushnell 3-9X40 Sportsman on it and going to zero this Saturday.  Like ray40cal said, I too plan on thining the herd on the north end of Perry Lake!
Hey, it's great to see ya here, Mouse1! Congrats on the rifle and mission, too!  O0

Offline Mouse1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »
Thank you, it's a pleasure to be a part of the group.  As far as the article is concerned, I read through a lot of the comments and associated articles.  There are some funny  :idiot2 people out there.  I started thinking and if they had 400 people participate, going low and saying $275 spent per rifle and guessing at possible numbers of locals and out of state participants, I'm thinking it might break down close to this.

Total excise tax paid for all rifles present.....             $12,100
Didn't say if entry fee was per team or person....       $ 4,000 - $8,000
Kansas resident hunting license, 280 people.....         $ 5,740
Kansas resident under 16, lets say 20 kids....             Free
Out of state hunting license, 85 adults.....                $ 6162.50
Out of state hunting license, 15 kids.....                   $   562.50

That would be direct cost for one event.  Add in fuel, food, ammo, possible lodging....And those directs costs go directly to federal or state wildlife and parks.  I am one who feels hunters contribute far more toward preservation and conservation than ever given credit.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
Yes, those events generate a lot of money for all coffers.  O0

West of here is a small town that was touted by the leading outdoor magazines as the epicenter of pheasant population and sucessful hunting. Overnight, the small town was flooded with hunters, many of them without motel rooms or a place to stay.

We had our usual opening weekend reservations at the local motel. We were hounded by other hunters trying to buy our reservations.  ;D  All the restraunts gas stations, etc, were absolutely packed with hunters.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

Bah, when i was a kid, there were two leavenworth soccer teams. We were the good team, we'd always get into fistfights with the tonganixie feckers. Technicly I'm banished from the fairgrounds at tongie for something i did 10 years ago. Kicked some indian kid's teeth out, broke his jaw. But he socked me in the kidney and i let him have it.

Facebook Comments