December 14, 2017, 11:18:31 PM

Author Topic: Man, this weather bites!  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Nick_T

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Can I shoot one time?
Re: Man, this weather bites!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I couldn't contend with all that white stuff and temps in the negatives. If it reaches freezing around here we call it "cold".  :) Of course you don't have to put up with stretches of 100+ temps in the summer either, which I do enjoy while working on my tan.

Forecast for Thurs morning is L&V winds, clear, and temps in the mid-30's, I will be out there!

O0

Nick T

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
I couldn't contend with all that white stuff and temps in the negatives. If it reaches freezing around here we call it "cold".  :) Of course you don't have to put up with stretches of 100+ temps in the summer either, which I do enjoy while working on my tan.

Forecast for Thurs morning is L&V winds, clear, and temps in the mid-30's, I will be out there!

O0

Nick T
 O0 That's the spirit, Nick! I have to work my squirrel hunting around our gun deer season. Unless a person knows of a squirrel hunting place devoid of deer hunters, it isn't safe to be hunting squirrels.

I was out weekend before last and sniped 3 squirrels at a spot not being hunted by deer hunters. It was slim pickings that day, but 3 of the bucktoothed varmints exposed themselves long enough for a shot.  :twisted:

Right now it's +12F here, -4F with the windchill factor, with an expected +18F today. Even though it's sunny outside, I wouldn't want to be out hunting squirrels that will probably stay tucked in today.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:45:08 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
  O0 That's the spirit, Nick! I have to work my squirrel hunting around our gun deer season. Unless a person knows of a squirrel hunting place devoid of deer hunters, it isn't safe to be hunting squirrels.

I was out weekend before last and sniped 3 squirrels at a spot not being hunted by deer hunters. It was slim pickings that day, but 3 of the bucktoothed varmints exposed themselves long enough for a shot.  :twisted:

Right now it's +12F here, -4F with the windchill factor, with an expected +18F today. Even though it's sunny outside, I wouldn't want to be out hunting squirrels that will probably stay tucked in today.

Oh crap, I'd be a frozen!  ;D The woods I hunt, the orchard owner doesn't allow any deer hunting in there where we can thin the squirrels down for him. He makes more money off the nuts that we save from the squirrels than he would leasing it to deer hunters. I'll have alot more land open up to me when deer season closes, but the nuts will be harvested by then but the squirrel hunting should be OK, just not as concentrated as they are when the nuts are still on the trees. Looking forward to some fresh places and new woods to look at anyhow.

Nick T

Offline D45/70

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:03:19 PM »
I couldn't contend with all that white stuff and temps in the negatives. If it reaches freezing around here we call it "cold".  :) Of course you don't have to put up with stretches of 100+ temps in the summer either, which I do enjoy while working on my tan.Forecast for Thurs morning is L&V winds, clear, and temps in the mid-30's, I will be out there!O0
Nick T

WE GET TO 100* IN JULY AND AUGUST., some times for 3 to 4 weeks but it will cool down to 60 at night, and our humidity will be 8% .To days forecast is  35* and tomorrow it's to be 45* Snow will be running down the street>>>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:05:03 PM by D45/70 »
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:24:55 PM »
I've hunted and worked outside in weather -20F and colder, not even counting in the wind chill factor. It's tough hunting, even while walking or working to keep warm. Back then when the elements didn't matter (I was much younger) we didn't have all this space age stuff to keep warm. You just toughed it out and tried to keep from getting frostbite.

I still work 10 hours per shift, mostly outside and dress the best I can for the weather. One negative point, we can only fit so much under our uniforms and are tightly restricted as to what we wear over our uniforms, even rain gear in wet weather.  :sad:
I can see their point, though. We wouldn't want to be mistaken for one or some of the bad guys.  :shock: :buck2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »
Any thing under -10 is very hard to work in and we always have a wind. I have called coyotes at -40 and a 40 mile an hour wind and it will kill you in about 10 minuets no mater what you have on... :shock:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »
Usually when it gets into the triple digits around here the humidity is above 50%, makes it feal like your walking into a sona when ya open the front door. That's when, if I ain't at work, I usually grab the boy and head to the creek with a cooler of drinks. Water down there stays under 70degs reguardless of the air temp, makes life livable. I've hunted in single digits before, back in my duck hunting days I have had my boat freeze to the bank and once had the arse of my waders freeze to the boat seat, with me in them. Like John, this was in my younger days when you think your 10ft tall and bullet proof. I've slowed down a bit and pick/chose my days a bit better, not quite as gung ho as a once was.

Nick T

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
You got that right, Nick!
I just got back from the store and saw squirrels running all over the neighborhood.  ??? The scruffy bucktoothed varmint nut bandits are usually out and running when I have to go to work, naturally.  :tickedoff :knuppel2

I KNEW I should have taken the day off, but it's too short of notice and my work pals will be stuck out in the cold longer tonight if I don't show up.  :sad: Double duty while picking up someone else's slack and patrol is tough during this rough weather.  :sad:

Dang smartypants squirrels are really gonna die when I do make it out to even the score!  :knuppel2 :buck2

Offline Nick_T

• Can I shoot one time?
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
Sounds like the perfect situation for a drive-by squirrel slaying,orjust take those fustrations out on the first perp that gives ya any lip.  :)

Nick T

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
You FOOL'S!!

Don't you realize that squirells take time out during weather like this to hone their deadly skills???!!!!

Rigt now. As we speak, there are squirrels who are honing their ninja skills of concealment, poison darts and throwing stars and DEATH without mercy!!!!!!!

These animals NEVER rest or sleep. They only go to hell and regroup!!!

You must steel yourself and have total resolve to face and conquer this threat. The fate of the free world and all man kind hangs in the balance!!!!!!!!!!

Oh God help us!!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments