October 20, 2017, 12:22:04 PM

Author Topic: Finally got him!  (Read 565 times)

Offline HiVoltg30

Finally got him!
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »
Got my buck!
Last year I was hunting down in these lowlands, literally along the bank of the Columbia River about 10 minutes from my home.
Saw a huge doe walking through the brush, she saw me but didn’t seem to care, western Washington is almost famously known for its forest underbrush, thick as the day is long!
Needless to say, I had having a hard time getting a shot at her with the muzzleloader, finally I got lucky – so, got started gutting her and about 10 yards away, I hear some hoof stomping, so I peeked through the leaves and here’s this 3-point blacktail trying to get a view, he knew I was there, and then I knew he had been following her as I was, he along with another doe that was standing behind him.
I wanted a better look at him, so to get him to move a bit, I did the “burping” sound into my cupped fist, he didn’t like that at all and came about 5 yards closer… nice little buck!

So figuring he may be territorial, I planned on finding him this year in the area, not to mention another point added to those antlers!

Did some scouting this last summer while fishing and saw several deer, but not my buck…
So late muzzleloader season starts end of November into December, I made several trips down there in the mornings after dropping the kids off at school.
That week we were having a record cold spell in the NW, and one morning the sun was out, I’m driving down the road, and there he is, standing in a little open spot soaking up the sun.
I parked a bit further up, and sneaked towards him, he walked across the road stopped in the middle and looked at me, not a care in the world with that sort of  “hey, how’s it going” look, sniffed the ground and casually walked off, so I slipped into the brush after him. Fifteen yards ahead of me he turned to look and bam! I shot him right behind the ear breaking the spine, and I had my little, now, 4-point!
Interesting thing, he was less than 100 yards from where I saw him last year!

* Knight Long Range Hunter – Barnes .50 cal 290 gr. T-EZ sabots w/100 gr. Triple 7

"Never go out in the woods without a gun. You never know when you'll find something that's better off dead."

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Finally got him!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!  

Congrats on the buck!  He may have a small rack by your standards, but you can't eat that bone on their heads. O0  From what I've heard of the hunting up in that area, you were lucky to get him.  And you got him with a muzzleloader to boot! O0  I would just about rather muzzleload hunt than anything.  There's just something about that big cloud of smoke that affects you.  :D :crazy2

Congrats again HiVoltg30! O0  That looks like some good tender eatin' :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
Way to go with the smoke pole bud! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Alright Mighty Fine! O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »
Nice going, H30!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments