October 17, 2017, 02:06:55 AM

Author Topic: Moral Questions on Deer Hunting  (Read 3174 times)

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
Moral Questions on Deer Hunting
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »
 I'm going to address two issues. Baiting, and shooting Spikes and Does.

First, I'll talk about does and spikes. This year, I got my first buck. Not a ten point. Not an 8. Not a six. Not a fork. A spike. I was so excited! I had hunted rabbits and hogs and dove, but never a big, fat deer! The landowner patted me on the back and called me the Deer Slayer, after James Fenimore Cooper's (Author of the Last of the Mohicans) book. I cleaned him, and I have his skull getting cleaned by the elements for a Euro mount as we speak. But I told my friend, a real "Trophy" hunter, and he said, "You wasted your buck tag on a Spike???".
  I had no idea that it was a bad thing! I just thought it was a younger deer, and that if a trophy came, you shot him. If he wasn't, that was ok, too. Then I know people that don't shoot does. They taste great! I mean, why not? Sure, they don't have horns. But they taste nice. And it keeps the Buck/Doe ratio in balance, right? Are does trash because they have no horns? Was my Spike trash because he was lacking in horns and was still young?

Now, Baiting. Sitting in a stand, whether it be a box, or under some tree somewhere, isn't really fun until the deer come. I know about stalking, but I couldn't do it on my land. It is too small and so crowded. People on the Internet call me lazy, because I sit in the stand. They say I don't hunt. I will say this now. I am NOT lazy. I just really don't want to get flipping SHOT!  I don't have 10,000 acres to roam free on, I am sorry. I don't always enjoy shutting up and watching a stilted barrel, but that's how it is. I think it is a good way to watch nature. The birds are singing instead of sending out warning calls to your presence. And when that rare backstrap wrapped in bacon and juicy roasts.... um... I mean... deer walks up, she is mine. My opinion is this. As long as it is legal, to each his own. Baiting on 10,000 acres of public land could be lazy, with so much room to stalk animals with, but I've got 100 or so. When I go to the elk, I will hunt them down on foot, because there is room. When I hunt rabbits on the empty Februarys, I run them down. But for my safety, I will keep baiting, because I do the best I can do with what I have.
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Moral Questions on Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »
You've come to the right place. I think you will find that most here will agree that even tho it's not their preferred method or quarry, as long as it's legal in your area then it's fine by us. And any legal deer that you hunted for is a trophy, be it a button, spike, doe or gnarly old buck.
 Personally I think it a wise choice for you to stand hunt under the circumstances. Hunting methods, weapons and such should always be carefully selected for the circumstance for safety reasons if no other. I sometimes hunt squirrel in areas the are just too small and congestede for the safe use of a rimfire and therefore resort to the 12 guage. Some areas might even call for an airgun.
 It's the bone-head eliteist with the "my way or no-way" attitude that cause the in-fighting that very well may spell the end of hunting as we know it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »
All I can say is you cant eat the rack! O0 Those peps that horn hunt is the ones given us true hunters a bad rap! :knuppel2 As for some peps they have access to large racks where others have spikes to hunt and for me I would rather waste a tag on a nubben or doe for the freezer! So be proud that you got a deer! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:33:23 AM »
The only real way to hunt deer is to stalk them wearin nuthin but a loinclothe and kill them with a 4" buck knife
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
The true measure of a deer is the memories you make. With a lot of people the first deer is the most memorable one, spikes, antlers, or slick-headed; makes no difference. I once slipped up on a doe and shot her in the bed with an iron-sighted muzzle loader. I couldn't have been happier with a Boone-and Crockett. I'll probably remember this hunt when my mounts on the wall have rotted and fell apart. Nobody on THIS site will 'dis your deer, kid. In the words of the great Jeff Foxworthy, "that's gonna be some good eatin' right there"  ;D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »
The true measure of a deer is the memories you make. With a lot of people the first deer is the most memorable one, spikes, antlers, or slick-headed; makes no difference. I once slipped up on a doe and shot her in the bed with an iron-sighted muzzle loader. I couldn't have been happier with a Boone-and Crockett. I'll probably remember this hunt when my mounts on the wall have rotted and fell apart. Nobody on THIS site will 'dis your deer, kid. In the words of the great Jeff Foxworthy, "that's gonna be some good eatin' right there"  ;D

What Ellwood said pretty much hit the nail on the head. O0

The only one you've got to worry about pleasing is yourself.  As long as you're happy with what you got, then that's all that matters. O0  Be it a spike, doe, button, whatever.  As long as it's legal then have at it.  You can't eat them antlers, so shoot whatever you want.

As for the baiting, who gives a flying fart what anyone else thinks??  The only thing you have to answer to is your own conscience.  If you don't like it, don't do it. :wink:

Same thing with hunting method.  If you want to sit in a heated blind and that's your idea of hunting and that's what makes you happy, then go for it.  If you want to trek up and down hills and hollows wearing nothing but a loin cloth and an orange vest, then have at it. :wink:

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
As you can see here, GWB, there's not anybody here who'd fault you for "wasting" your tag on a spike. Anybody who gives you a hard time for doing right by yourself can take a hike. Every so often, we get one of those kinds around here... they don't last long.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
Ditto.

We're pretty much the board of the big tent. If it's legal in your area and you can do it. Then do it.

Those who gripe and moan as if they possess the grand wisdom of what, how, when, where, how many and how big, and how much to spend are the douche bags who will destroy the sport of hunting faster than any anti-hunting jerks.

Like KS says, we've had a few show up here, but we send them running with their tails tucked between their legs and that yellow streak down their back showing a mile away! :wink: O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:34 PM »
 I'm glad that there are understanding souls in this world.  O0 Thanks alot guys!
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Hey, we all like a good pot of deer stew here! And horns dont cook down very good! O0 O0 Ask John bout the puppy stew! Its the best! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Facebook Comments