October 18, 2017, 04:20:54 PM

Author Topic: Moral Questions on Deer Hunting  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Moral Questions on Deer Hunting
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Considerin i just got back from draggin a young doe to the truck thru butthole deep snow that i shot in a corn field i wouldnt say up north we dont hunt over bait or stand hunt

You shot butthole deep snow in a corn field??  ???  How'd you do that?? ?? ??  ??? ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »
"Buttholes in Deep Snow".....

I think they have a new CD coming out.
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
 That reminds me... Who used a butcher to... butcher... their kill? I hate it, but my dad is going to make me do it next time. He says butchering your own was too hard (I butchered my spike that I shot), but I did all the %$*#ing work!!! He doesn't even like deer meat unless it's mixed with lots of pig fat and ground up (making it, in my book, PORK SAUSAGE). I'm not looking forward to my next kill for this reason. I'm going to MAKE him get some steaks made of MY deer, and I'll probably salvage the tenderloin before taking the rest of it to the butcher.
  In my opinion, he should shoot his own deer, but he's 'not interested'. :P
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 09:41:36 PM »
I cut up my own deer I don't think its too hard at all.
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
BTH, you just need to get a claymore from John. I'm sure he's got some of them lying around his installation. O0 Just set it up near the salt lick and next morning you would have a few gutted and partially cooked for you. O0 :evil:
:roll: :wink: ;D How many you want?

You shot butthole deep snow in a corn field??  ???  How'd you do that?? ?? ??  ??? ???
  ;D ;D ;D ;D Poor plott! That had to be tough hunting, plott!   :shock: :sad:
About Texas baiting, I don't see anything wrong with it. Hunting over bait is the ONLY way you will harvest anything in those areas. You have to be there and see it to understand it, pretty much. You either hunt over bait or else hunt the entire season without even seeing anything to shoot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 04:46:32 PM »
That reminds me... Who used a butcher to... butcher... their kill? I hate it, but my dad is going to make me do it next time. He says butchering your own was too hard (I butchered my spike that I shot), but I did all the %$*#ing work!!! He doesn't even like deer meat unless it's mixed with lots of pig fat and ground up (making it, in my book, PORK SAUSAGE). I'm not looking forward to my next kill for this reason. I'm going to MAKE him get some steaks made of MY deer, and I'll probably salvage the tenderloin before taking the rest of it to the butcher.
  In my opinion, he should shoot his own deer, but he's 'not interested'. :P

There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself and I it did for years.

Nowadays, not so much.

I actually like taking my deer to a processor. The hard part is finding a real good one. It seems I find one who does a good job and he goes out of business the following year. I do put suet in my deer meat I find it adds to the flavor and texture and in the case of an older deer will help with the gamey taste.

I realize some folks like the gamey taste, but I've found when I have folks over to eat venison, and they've never had it before one of their concerns is the gamey taste they hear so much about. With a little beef or hog suet throwm into the mix, I only rarely get a negative comment from folks.

I think it's important our sport to always be prepared to show those who don't hunt that we properly utilize what we kill.

Notice I say kill and not harvest. Harvest is what you do to plants. Kill is what you do to animals.

I've found MOST, not all, but most folks open and even receptive to eatting wild game, as long as it's properly prepared.

Back in the early 1990's Texas A&M University did a study on how expensive venison was. They factored in the cost of licenses, guns, ammo, club fees, distance from work and the amount of time you take off to hunt as factors.

When it was added up, it came out to something like $80.00 a pound of usable venison. I can't remember the exact dollar placed but it was at least $80.00 a pound and that's using 1990's money. I'm sure it's higher today.

That makes venison more expensive than Kobi beef from Japan, which has the distinction of being the most expensive beef in the world.

So I think you can see why it's important that vension be given the best processing and butchering you can find. My specialty for my friends has always been chili and I also like to have my venison bar-b-q.

Since I work full time and want to ensure it's properly prepared I don't mind spending the extra dollars to get what I want.

To me venison is something special. If I don't eat it I'm not going to starve and go hungry. It's something I WANT to eat and it's something I want to enjoy, not just for myself, but for others as well, who might not get the opportunity under normal circumstances.

So I want the meat prepared to not just eat but to enjoy and show those who don't hunt what our sport is all about.

I can say with some satisfaction that it's caused a few folks to start hunting and it's helped others to understand and appreciate us more and gain us a few more allies in the non-hunting camp, which guarantees we keep them out of the anti-hunting camp.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
Its real easy just shoot low the hard part is findin a place to grab it so ya can drag it.  Ive always processed my own deer which is pretty easy some years
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
Ive always processed my own deer which is pretty easy some years

Yeah, not a lot of work to prepare an antler.....  :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
Yeah, not a lot of work to prepare an antler.....  :roll:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Yeah, I was just thinking of ol' "One Antler" plott.  :wink: :roll: ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
Thats why i been gunnin for does lately  then i dont have to worry bout that  lol
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Facebook Comments