September 20, 2018, 10:34:48 AM

Author Topic: Rabbits in the freezer??  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Big Papa

Rabbits in the freezer??
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
My son and I got 8 rabbits today. I true hunt for the ages esp. around here. ;D  But, I didnt clean them in the field. It was about 20 degrees so we just hiked with them in our game bags. When I got home we had a family issue and I had to leave right away. So I put em in the freezer fur and all in plastic bags. Think they will be OK for us to clean and eat tomorrow?
Big Papa is here!!

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Rabbits in the freezer??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »
I would say yep iffen you gutted em first! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »
I would think they would be fine. If you cu them up like it is shown in the critter cleaning section of this board you don't even have to mess with the guts. I hardly ever gut mine unless it is just too warm, but I clean them when I get home and do not freeze them over night. I remember my grandpa used to hang rabbits in the fork of trees when he got tired of carying them. Sometimes he forgot them and if it was a cold night or even freezing he would get them the next day and take them home. Sounds like the same thing as putting htem into the freezer to me.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
It's a late post, but yes, fresh rabbit fried up is great! Ya better make gravy, too. If you don't know how to make frying pan flour gravy after you fry the rabbits or squirrels, ya better find out or miss out on some of the best eating, considering small game on the table.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »
Nope I didnt gut them in the field. It was pretty cold and snow packed. I am at work now but when i get home i plan to thaw them out,gut 'em,them butcher them. Hope it works out for table fare!
Big Papa is here!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
Nope I didnt gut them in the field. It was pretty cold and snow packed. I am at work now but when i get home i plan to thaw them out,gut 'em,them butcher them. Hope it works out for table fare!
No worry! Rabbits should be just fine.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
Thanks ! I'll let ya know if there are any issues. You think I should thaw them out or clean them while still hard frozen?
Big Papa is here!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
Thanks ! I'll let ya know if there are any issues. You think I should thaw them out or clean them while still hard frozen?
I don't think you would be able to dress them while they are frozen. They should be just fine if you thaw them out and clean them.

Facebook Comments