November 21, 2017, 05:39:12 PM

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Big Papa

Dogs
« on: December 07, 2004, 02:15:53 PM »
Is there a squirrel dog? I know beagles are for rabbits generally speaking......what kind of dog would be good? I love beagles and I like them to hunt bunnies but one that could do both now THAT IS A DOG.
Big Papa is here!!

april

Dogs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »
Feists are real good squirrel dogs. So are rat terriers.

Offline Big Papa

Dogs
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »
OK....what about a combo squirrel/rabbit dog or are they too different to have one dog for both  Thanks April
Big Papa is here!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Dogs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 04:21:36 PM »
Big Pappa, I have a couple of squirrel dogs still in the making. One is 50/50 Bassett and red bloodhound. The other one is registered Bassett. I can't see how a dog would be good for both rabbits and squirrels. I imagine you could train a beagle to be a squirrel dog, no reason why not.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Dogs
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:41:24 PM »
I have seen several beagles used for squirrel with good results. The problem with using 1 dog for multifunctions is that there's an entirely different set of rules to learn to be either a runnin' dog or a tree dog. In my experience with beagles, I have found that they aren't the smartest dogs around. They are bred for 1 thing - to follow their noses. They can be trained to track/chase anything, but when the animal "trees" they have a decision to make,  "Do I stay here and bark until someone comes and drags me off?" or "Do I abandon this trail and go find something else to chase?"  It would take a real smart dog to know which decision to make, based solely on the type of scent he last smelled, and his knowledge of that particular animal's habits. :? Yes, that would be a real DOG!
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

april

Dogs
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 11:28:37 AM »
Big Papa....

They pretty much said what I'd say.
I do think it is possible to train a beagle to be a squirrel dog. Heck, I've seen chihuahua's do it.

But, like elwood said, "It's a different ballgame" between the two. (running and treeing)  Not saying it ain't possible to train a beagle to be "combo", cause anything is :wink: ...but I think it would be, if anything....very hard to do.

Offline irishfirefighter

training
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 04:38:08 PM »
i,ve recently indulged in squirrel hunting due to the fact that it,s the best way to introduce my 4 yr old girl into hunting i have a jack russel terrier that is a lil over a yr old and is not gun shy          does any one have any sugestions on how i can train her to tree squirrels she loves to chase the cat especially when i tell to go get em!

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Dogs
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 05:57:22 PM »
Sounds like you've already got a good start with the cat. Many good tree dogs have been trained using cats. The fact that you can "sic" the dog also shows promise. Now just start praising the dog every time he trees a cat and then shoot it out to him. If you happen to be a cat lover then start with squirrels first. Find a fresh roadkill and drag it around the yard. when he starts tracking, put it up in a small tree where he can see it. "Sic" him and then praise him when he barks. I've seen some folks tie a string to the limb and shake it while they sic him. a lot of times this movement really fires the dog up. Make a game of it and keep praising him. Next move on to real squirrels. If you have access to a place with plenty of squirrels that are semi-tame, such as a city park or your neighbor's bird feeder, this is ideal.  The rest is just repetition; Sic, Praise, Shoot. and occasionally let him get some fur in his mouth.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Dogs
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:29:05 PM »
Good luck with your training Irish FF....

I give you credit for putting up with a hyper jack russell...  But I have heard that they can be good squirrel dogs.

BTW, where are you from??  and where do you work???
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Dogs
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 02:11:06 AM »
Our Bassett pup got loose after I went to work this afternoon. My wife found him treeing a squirrel in our pear tree. She grabbed him by the collar and he got loose when she got him onto our deck. The little rascal ran right back to the tree and looked up at the squirrel, and just sat there watching the squirrel. My wife repeated this several times, and he was right back on the tree every time she would turn him loose. A couple of times when he got back to the tree, he made a tight circle around the tree, to see if the squirrel had left, before treeing again. Our dogs spend quite a bit of time outside tied up, and go crazy when they see squirrels, but the pup seems to be the one that has it figured out what has to be done. It must be a lot of natural instinct that makes one dog much better than the other, in his case. The other dog is just over twice his age and hasn't really made half the progress he has. For 5 months old, he is going to be the real deal, I believe. \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments