December 17, 2017, 01:05:46 AM

Author Topic: tracking  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: tracking
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 08:13:16 AM »
The only problem with that is that my brother's deer was the first one for both of us, and that was 22 years ago! :shock:  2 easy drags in 22 years of deer hunting ain't too good, considering I've gotten at least 1 deer each year (most of the time 2, and sometimes up to 7). :sad:  The worst drag took about 4.5 hours, with the last 30-45 minutes on the back of a 4-wheeler!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 01:01:11 AM »
Wow, BC. You must REALLY get out in the boonies.   :shock:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 07:06:16 AM »
On that one deer, my uncle and I would walk up a creek to get to the area.  It took over an hour of HARD walking to get to where we hunted at.  After I shot the deer (150 lb, 5 pt), he ran further back into the woods! :shock:  We knew we had a heck of a drag, so we put the deer's front legs up in his rack to "stream-line" him, tied a short rope onto him and tied the other end to a hefty stick.  One person would drag while the other had a treestand on each shoulder and a bow in each hand.  We finally ran out of steam about 3/4 mile away from the truck.  Had to leave the deer laying in the middle of the creek.  I didn't want to do it, fearing someone might steal the deer.  My uncle said, with no uncertain tone in his voice, "No one is going to be stupid enough to finish dragging this heavy S.O.B. out of here!" ;D

Aren't memories grand! :)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline sloth

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 07:04:15 PM »
I have been huntin for quite a while but if it is one thing about tracking blood is the #1 way 2 go, but it always doesn't turn out that way.  I shot a buck on angle and it went through his liver, lungs, and out through the gut.  About a hundred yards from where I shot him the guts sealed up the wound so I had little speckles of blood to follow.  I was down on my hands and knee searching for blood and it took 10 hours to find him.  Instead of looking for blood try looking for broken twigs. 

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 07:10:23 PM »
broken twigs bud wow you have to be the extreme tracker hehehehe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »
My uncle taught me how to hunt and track.  The first deer I shot with a bow, I got a bad hit on (hit the femoral artery).  We tracked him (or rather my uncle did the tracking, showing me how to do it) through the leaves for about 300-400 yds.  During the whole trail, we found 3 drops of blood.  One thing I'll have to say, my uncle never did loose the trail.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »
If you add yellow food coloring to the peroxide, it glows yellow under a flashlight for those times when darkness creeps up on you. Its way cheaper than those comercial tracking solutions, and quite a bit safer, according to what I read on the instructions from a bottle the wife picked up for me. The comercial stuff sounds like its dang near toxic......................  :)
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 05:15:32 AM »
I think one of the most important things to remember is where you were when you took the shot. Always mark this position.Also remember where the deer was at the time of the shot.Look for hair ,blood or even pieces of bone at this spot.(bone can be driven through the exit hole usually a leg hit) .If blood is found what color was it ,bright red an artery hit.dark can be liver. was there any green subtance found ,this indicates a gut shot.( do not track this animal for at least 3 hours.)Give the deer time to lie and die, deer will not usually go far unless pushed. was the blood pink and frothy,this indicates a lung hit .(do not track this animal for at least a half hour) again allow the deer to lie.Never walk on the trail that you are tracking the deer on ,it is to easy to mess up the sign.Sometimes the blood trail can stop, this can be a number of reasons. Clotting factors, fat plugging the hole etc.Try not to get discouraged, remember that the deer has to of moved within a 360 degree circle. Look for disturbed leaves broken branches. Mark the last blood and make small circles and keep widening the area. If you hunt long enough you can lose a deer ,this can happen to the best. But do your very best ,and you will recover more than you will lose.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 01:29:11 PM »
I think one thing that gets a lot of hunters in trouble is , that we dint give the deer enough time to lie down and die. Everyone that has shot a deer weather it was a big buck or a small doe has the same adrenalin rush and what seems like a 30 min wait might have only been 10 min. Always watch for the sign that the deer gives you after the shot. Did it jump straight up into the air , did it hunker down . did it take off like someone hit it with a cattel prod , did it just trot off with its tail up . Regardless of how it took off dint rush it . If you did your part right it wont be long until you find your deer. I have had a few friends to loose deer that were hit through both lungs that they didn't Wait on only to be found several days later less than 20 yards form where they lost the trail.
All who resist will die

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 01:40:02 AM »
Always LOOK for the deer!!!!!!!!!!!  I've hunted with people that would follow a blood trail, and then when it petered out, they would quit looking.  Never do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Always look for the deer!  If you loose the trail, start walking in ever-widening circles around the last blood.  If you still fail to pick up the trail, look at the flight line of the deer (the direction it was traveling).  This may help you find the deer/trail

If none of this helps you find the deer, get on some comfortable shoes, shed some clothes, and start hiking!  The last deer I lost was with a bow back in about 1990.  I followed the trail for about 2 miles.  After I lost the trail, I spent the next 2 days looking for the deer, up hills and hollows, in tree laps, down in deep hollows, EVERYWHERE!  As it turned out, another guy got the deer during gun season (3 weeks after I had shot the deer).  The wound had almost completely healed, with no ill effects to the deer.  The point is, I didn't give up until I was absolutely sure that either the deer survived or there was no way possible I could find the deer.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments