October 23, 2017, 08:36:40 PM

Author Topic: tracking  (Read 6153 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: tracking
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 08:15:25 AM »
Always LOOK for the deer!!!!!!!!!!!  I've hunted with people that would follow a blood trail, and then when it petered out, they would quit looking.  Never do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Always look for the deer!  If you loose the trail, start walking in ever-widening circles around the last blood.  If you still fail to pick up the trail, look at the flight line of the deer (the direction it was traveling).  This may help you find the deer/trail

If none of this helps you find the deer, get on some comfortable shoes, shed some clothes, and start hiking!  The last deer I lost was with a bow back in about 1990.  I followed the trail for about 2 miles.  After I lost the trail, I spent the next 2 days looking for the deer, up hills and hollows, in tree laps, down in deep hollows, EVERYWHERE!  As it turned out, another guy got the deer during gun season (3 weeks after I had shot the deer).  The wound had almost completely healed, with no ill effects to the deer.  The point is, I didn't give up until I was absolutely sure that either the deer survived or there was no way possible I could find the deer.

this deserved quoting the whole thing! you shoot you find it.. i hate even taking the shot at a rats and not finding them.. nothing worse than coming across a dead anything that someone didnt take an extra 5 minutes to look for.
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 11:28:07 AM »
I just had the pleasure of tracking a deer 4 miles!  that was one tough deer, Turns out my buddy shot him in the thigh with a crossbow (getting real dark and a long shot with heavy brush, I guess the odds were in the deers favor).  but it crossed 2 farms, heavy heavy brush, back tracked and then went across a highway and was laying behind some logs in a briar patch.  this deer went through some of the heaviest brush ive ever had the pleasure of going through but by god we found it.  turned out to be a 10 point (non typical but anyways).

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 09:33:30 PM »
Great tracking job!!! O0  And GREAT JOB on sticking with it!  A lesser person would have given up after a hundred yards or so. >:(
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments