October 19, 2017, 01:36:00 AM

Author Topic: What all would i need  (Read 1397 times)

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
What all would i need
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
to start reloading for my .222 since ammo is kind of sparse around here. I also wonder how much I would need to drop for a decent setup. And also what some good reading for it would be.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: What all would i need
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:54:03 AM »
Start with a reloading manual. They have a whole section devoted to safety and directions. Pay very close attention to the safety. They say no distractions, they mean none. A brain fart while you are reloading can have devistating or deadly results.
 A good read on how to and the equipment can be seen here http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading/reloadingindex.html

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloading/reloading1.html

As for equipment, Most all the common names are good or they wouldn't still be there. This is another area where you can spend as much as you want or almost as little. It can be done with hand dies and powder dippers ( I think less than $50) or RCBS rockchucker kit with a few extras for maybe $400, or a Dillion Blue Press with auto everything for more than I want to think about. It comes down to what you're willing (able) to spend and how big a hurry you are in. Spend all day loading 100 rds=hand dies, 100 rounds in a couple hours= Press kit, several hundred rounds in a couple hours=Dillion.

John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:51:07 AM »
So basically you think a manual should be my first purchase. That sounds pretty do able.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
Yep, start with a manual. O0  You'll need one anyway, and they've got a lot of practical info in there to start with.

How "into" reloading are you planning on getting?  Once you've got an answer to that question, then that will dictate what kind of set up you'll need.  If you're only going to be doing the one caliber, then a hand die will be the most feasible.  If you're wanting to start reloading some others, then an RCBS press might be a good one to start with.

On down the road, if you really get into reloading, then you can either sell or pass the RCBS down to someone else and get you a more expensive press. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments