Author Topic: Piebald Rabbit?  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Piebald Rabbit?
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
Found this on another forum.  Here's what the guy said and a picture.....

Strange looking Rabbit......

Last Saturday we went rabbit hunting in North Overton County Tennessee (near the Pickett Co. Line) , (season is still open in TN till last week of Feb.) and we shot a total of 12 rabbits over three excellent beagles. However that last rabbit we shot was quite different than the others. This one had a large amount of white on the head (almost a "V" shape) and it had a large patch of white that extented up from it's belly to the base of it's head, and exteneded back to about 2" past it's shoulder, the other side was grey/brown close to normal color. It looked almost like the markings of a Piebald deer, and while it wasn't the largest cottontail I've ever seen; It was amoung the largest that we shot that day (heavy and long).

What do you guys think? Recessive gene similar to piebaldism in deer?, or is it something other than a cottontail? It wasn't solid white like a shoe-shoe hair, would have been at this time of year.

Any Ideas??

So what'cha think?  ???

On that same forum, one guy talked about hunting a place where a bunch of domestic rabbits had gotten lose and bred with the wild stock.  He said they killed all kinds of color combinations, that the rabbits seemed to run better in front of the dogs and not take to holes as fast as wild ones.

Here's another picture of a similar one that a guy shot and had mounted.

He said that this one was a cottontail, but wasn't a true albino.

Pretty cool pictures anyway.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

Re: Piebald Rabbit?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
All they are is crosses with tame ones!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »
It's already starting.....

That's a wererabbit, I'm telling you I know. I have to get the .17 double and my ascot and silver bullets and head to Tennessee. If I don't come back, you'll know I didn't make it.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
Well Bo, dont forget your flashlights and Buttout tool this time! O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:43 AM »
I know I guy down in Gaston Co. NC that killed a solid white rabbit this season. It was the same size and weight as your average cottontail. It did not have a pink noseor anything, so I guess it was just a white rabbit and a true piebald. There was also a guy on the rabbit hunting site I am on that killed a solid white too down in GA.  If there were tame rabbits around there may have been some cross breeding but if not I would think it was the rabbits genes justlike in piebald deer. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
Tame rabbits were developed from the European rabbit and can not cross with our cottontails. They are seperate genus and species and their genome does not share enough DNA to hybridize. After all, they evolved on two seperate continents. I have chased quite a few " Easter Bunnies" and after being uncaged for most of a year, they can really give a beagle a run for his money.  After breeding in the wild for several generations, the European bunnies begin to take on an "untame" appearance and begin to resemble their wild European brethren. All the color, hair variations, flop ears, etc. that tame rabbit's have, cropped up from recessive traits, that were further refined through selective breeding. A very small percentage of our wild cottontails occasionally emerge carrying a recessive gene, but they usually don't last long in the wild. A rabbit has a short life expectancy anyway, even when equipped with the classic brown-brush camo. An odd-colored bunny really has the deck stacked against him. These pictures may be American cottontails, but they are extremely rare specimens.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Tame rabbits were developed from the European rabbit and can not cross with our cottontails. They are seperate genus and species and their genome does not share enough DNA to hybridize.

I wondered about that.  I figured if anyone would know for sure, it would be you. :wink:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
YOU'RE ALL BLIND MISGUIDED FOOLS!!

Don't you see what you're up against? You can't win by conventional means. The only dogs who can track a wererabbit are specially bred pomeranians and chihuahua's found only in one small village in central Latvia.

Yes, they're expensive and can tear a man's arm and leg off in less than a minute. But, this is what you need when hunting wererabbits.

Don't forget the silver bullets and ascot.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »
Make mine a kevlar ascot, if you don't mind. O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »
Make mine a kevlar ascot, if you don't mind. O0

Kevlar don't do no good against punctures.  >:(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments