November 19, 2017, 05:21:24 AM

Author Topic: End of '09 - '10 Squirrel Season  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
End of '09 - '10 Squirrel Season
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »
Well, I figured that since the squirrel season ends 2/28, I might as well get out for one last hunt.  The last I heard of the weather, it was supposed to be cold, but sunny, which should really make the squirrels move.  O0  I've still been after one particular fox squirrel that I've wanted to get mounted.  The last time I checked the memory card from the camera up by the feeder, I had been getting pictures of the fox squirrel anywhere between 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, so I was going to sit tight today until the little bugger showed himself.  :twisted:

As I was driving down there this morning, it started snowing.  ???  What the crap!  Got down there and where the ground was frozen, I was able to make it up the hill in my truck, on top of the frozen mud.  O0

About daylight, it really started snowing!  >:(  It kept it up all morning down there.  It was cloudy, cold, windy, and snowing.  Not an "ideal" morning to squirrel hunt. >:(

About 1/2 hour after daylight, a gray squirrel came into the feeder, so the .17 HMR barked and partially decapitated him.  :twisted:  A few minutes after that, a bunch of crows came in griping at me for having broken the morning silence with the gun shot.  I showed the main one making the noise just exactly what I thought of his griping.  :wink: :twisted:

Sat there until a little after 10 and looked up from the magazine I was reading (while hovering over my little propane heater inside the shooting shack  ;D ) and saw the fox squirrel coming in that I had been after!  O0  While he was coming in, another fox squirrel started coming in.  I grabbed the shotgun that I had brought along specifically for that bugger and got ready.  :twisted:  I had some high brass 2 3/4" shells loaded with #4 shot, so I figured they would reach the 40 yds up to the feeder where the squirrels were.  I figured wrong...........

I shot and both squirrels took off.  One went one way and the other went the other way.  >:(  :tickedoff  Got out of the shack and went after the one I was trying to get.  Figured he'd go up a tree and I would be able to blast him.  Again, I figured wrong.  >:(  I looked for the S.O.B. for quite a while and never could find him anywhere.  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff  Went back to the shack and sat until about 12:30, hoping that either one would come back, but they never did. >:(

Thinking about it now, I should have put my turkey choke in the gun, and used some old turkey loads I have.  Hind sight is 20/20.  :roll:  I'll know next year though. O0

So all I ended up with today was the one gray squirrel and the crow.

I breasted the crow out and have it soaking with the squirrel.  Figure I'll fry it and the squirrel up for lunch tomorrow, along with some fried taters. O0  O0  Fresh squirrel beats none at all I guess.  ;D

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Re: End of '09 - '10 Squirrel Season
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »
 :shock: :shock: :shock: A SHOTGUN!!!!. For SQUIRRELS???!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's heresy! pure heresy, I tell you! :'( :'(
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »
Hey BC gots it right! O0 At the worst, you get a tenderized peice of meat! O0 O0 ;D ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
:shock: :shock: :shock: A SHOTGUN!!!!. For SQUIRRELS???!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's heresy! pure heresy, I tell you! :'( :'(

Only for the one that I was wanting to get mounted.  :wink:  The .17 HMR makes too big of an exit hole.  :)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
Only for the one that I was wanting to get mounted.  :wink:  The .17 HMR makes too big of an exit hole.  :)
Yeah on that! Hey, you still done good, got out and killed one squirrel and a crow.
Those fox squirrels should be back there next year. Maybe it was a buck chasing a doe?  You might have a bunch more fox squirrels to hunt next season, BC.  O0 :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
Hey finally someone is going to eat crow! :D
Let us know how it is...I suspect it's going to be delicious. O0

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
BC eats crow everyday at work you know. :roll: :roll: ;D ;D
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
BC eats crow everyday at work you know. :roll: :roll: ;D ;D

Nah, not any more.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
I had a fox squirrel I was after but never got him, but my first squirrel was accually a nice fox squirrel that I wish I would have mounted. :idiot2 but I do use a shotgun where I hunt because there are houses around and the guy that owns the woods kinda makes me use one.
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Nah, not any more.  O0
  :twisted: O0 :) I bet ya carry a big club at work, too.  :wink: :knuppel2 ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments