November 19, 2017, 05:21:13 AM

Author Topic: Bird Hunt?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline squirrelsniper

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • What's Up?
    • http://antlerinnforums.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Bird Hunt?
« on: December 09, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »
Does anyone bird hunt? What kind and gauge gun do you use?

Offline DIXIEBANJO

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Bird Hunt?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »
for geese,turkey and ducks,it the 12 gauge.For doves,quail,pheasant and the rest of the birds you have to walk 50 miles to find,its the 20.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Squirrelhunter91

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:11:53 PM »
The only bird I hunt is the Turkey. I use a 20 gauge for it. Hopefully, this Spring, I will grow a pair big enough to handle the 3" Magnum Turkey Load out of the Beretta 12 gauge my dad has waiting for me. :(  :evil:

Offline Big Papa

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:34:08 AM »
SH 91  does the 3" really produce a bigger kick then lets say a regular small game load 2 3/4  ?   I have a 20g and plan on doing some Turkey this spring so what am I in for?
Big Papa is here!!

Squirrelhunter91

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 12:26:10 PM »
Big Papa,

The 3" does have a bit more kick than the field load (2 3/4"),  but not much of a difference. I just wanna tell you that you better tuck that gun in tight, because if you don't the gun will fly out of your hands. I know from expirience. :evil:  For squirrel and stuff, I prefer a 2 3/4" load. But for turkey, you need a magnum 3" load.

Joe

Offline DIXIEBANJO

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 03:54:05 PM »
Bigpapa,youl be alright.Ive been shooting heavy 12 gauge loads from a light weight single shot shotgun since I was 11.If you can,go shoot a 10 gauge 3.5 inch turkey load in a sawed off shotgun from the hip.That will make the 3inch 12 gauge seem like a babys toy.The best way to get used to recoil is too shoot a lot.It sounds funny,but if you shoot a snake in the pond once every year with a heavy load in 12 gauge,its gonna scare you a bit because your not used to it.If you spend a few days every couple of months shooting at clay,and empty 100+ rounds per hour,recoil shouldnt be a problem.Unless your truly recoil shy.If you find you cant handle the recoil comfortably(which I doubt)try one of those Limb Saver pads you can fit on your gun.You could also try the thing you strap on your shoulder.Or the best way,rough it and get used to a 10 gauge sawed off shotgun.They kick like the drunken devil,and will make you say...................wow.......WOW...Personally,I think its cool when a gun is more painfull to the shooter than to the target! :wink: The sharp corners on a freshly sawed off shotgun stock can really dig in!! :twisted:  :shock:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline D45/70

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 08:38:42 PM »
Yes we do bird hunt!!!Turkeys in the spring,All up land's open sept. 1st( all grouse,gray partridge,doves). Then pheasants and ducks then there is geese, upland's close Dec.1st, duck and goose run till Jan.15th. The old 12 gage doesn't even get cooled down and it's time to start bunny busting.! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big Papa

Bird Hunt?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »
wow dixie you don't mess around......I have never actually gone with the motto " I like my gun to hurt me more then the game" but every boat toots different.....the problem is I am not an experianced hunter I have been hunting now for about 3 monthes and I am 30 I lived in the inner city my whole life but I got a good job and moved out in the burbs and all my neighbors go so I started squirrel hunting to really learn how to hunt period......it has been more challenging then I thought it would be to hunt the tree rats and I AM doing turkey this spring and if I miss once Igotta be right on target for shot #2 I have missed a squirrel and have not got lined up properly and missed twice!!!!!!!It really makes me f#$%!@# mad so I know with the wiley birds I have to be ready guess I need to buy some turkey loads and just go play with 'em just me and my 20g
Big Papa is here!!

Facebook Comments