November 22, 2017, 09:38:53 AM

Author Topic: Catfish bait  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Carl77

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
Catfish bait
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
I live here in central illinois and I catfish some small private ponds and some bigger ponds. Most of the catfish I catch are either yellow bellies or channel cat. I dont like the yellow belly so much just because they are a pain (they swallow the hook everytime!!!) >:(....but anywho i was wondering if anyone would be willing enough to put a dough bait recipe on here. wether it be cheese or burger or whatever it is. I know some people keep that to themselves because it is their secret!!! but if its not then does anyone wanna share???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:09:30 PM by Carl77 »
Fred Bear Lights Out
70/30
31" Quick Strike Arrows
Carbon Express 100 gr. 3 Blades
Trophy Ridge Acc.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Re: Catfish bait
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
never really had any success with dough bait. but chicken livers work well

I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:34:22 PM »
Well I dont catfish anymore but when I did as a kid I would take chicken liver and a pair of pantie hose. O0 Make bout 1 inch balls in the hose with the liver and use a zip tie, which when i was a kid you used twist ties. And if you get real creative, put the treble hook inside the ball then tie it to the shank. And for the what you call yellow belly cats, round our parts we called mud cats, and with the big ones you let them swim in a bucket of fresh water for a few days and that helps clean em out some to make em taste better! O0 O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:10:49 AM »
the biggest ones i caught were on chicken livers, blue cats i think.   Stink bait seems to work but not as good. That was on my parents farm down in arkansas they got two ponds. Real monsters in there that are not overfished. Its so underfished that the bass can't get real big, because there's so many and the bass are pretty much shad for the big catfish.  I remember catching quite a few channels on Fort Leavenworth lakes with raw hot dogs, but i think those are used to getting bait and released they might be panzy catfish. A couple were pretty big for channels though. They discourage eating any of the catfish up there during certain parts of the year, because grass chemicals from the golf courses drain directly into the lakes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:12:30 AM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
In order to get your catfish to stop swallowing the hook, you might try to keep the bait off the bottom of the lake. Catfish being bottom feeders inhale the bait when it's on the bottom or just off the bottom of the lake.

Fish three to five inches off the bottom and the cats will still smell the bait but usually won't inhale the bait.

Also using a lead weight that is loose instead of tight on your line allows the catfish to mouth the bait without feeling the extra weight which can cause the fish to think it's something bigger than it is and swallowing it whole.

Chicken livers are always popular and work well in both still and flowing water. We also sprinkle a healthy amount of garlic powder or garlic salt on the livers which is very effective in bringing in big channel cats. Catalpa worms also work very well, in the hottest part of summer and night.

But the biggest channel cats 20lbs plus and blue catfish 30lbs plus I've seen caught, have been caught with cut shad placed on a treble hook and fished in still water lakes in the deepest section, or in river or lakes with slow to medium currents in channels and jettys near inlets.

The bigger the catfish, the deeper you fish.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
Bo, we always run trotlines in the river and lakes growen up. Krawdads and shad gizzards is what the best was for that. Sometimes I would use limblines but always krawdads on them. My bud used yoyo's and guts worked great on that! But pond fishen earthworms or chicken liver.
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
I only ran a trot line one summer in Arkansas when I was a kid visting my grandmother. I really didn't know what I was doing, but my cousin did. Never thought about crayfish, but I bet that's a good way to go! O0 O0

We put whole gizzard shad and cut shad out there and caught more buffalo than catfish, but we also caught a few gar and some blue catfish in the 10-15 pound range. In the past he'd caught gar in the 75 pound range and buffalo in the 25-30 pound range.

I wish I could have done it more often, but I was a SPORT fisherman. I HAD to have that rod and reel in my hand, whereas my cousin was putting supper on the table. It was much more personal for him.

There are some BIG fish in the White and Red rivers!!!

Over at Santee Cooper in South Carolina, a friend was there fishing with a guide a few summers ago and caught if memory serves 7 blue catfish that were all 25-30 pounds.

They were fishing the cut shad on treble hooks down at the deepest part of the lake near the dam. He SWEARS they got one to the surface that broke off that would have gone 60+ pounds!!

Now THAT's A big catfish! :wink: O0

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
I've seen some 40 pounders caught at stranger creek which is about 20 minutes west of here. Same place i'd shoot the pistols. They always use traught lines but not sure what the beait is, i think its jst shad and small bluegills. Huge fish though like, i'd be pretty concerned if one grabbed my foot. They look like nurse sharks but morbidly obese.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
Try Sonny's stink bait, the best stuff around! Get those stink bait worms, the hollow tube ones that have round holes in the sides. I've found the bright orange ones work the best.

Sonny's place is near here and his bait is sold all the way to the west coast.

His stink dip bait is the only stink bait here on the Mississippi River that catches cats.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
Some guy down near Columbus caught the new Georgia state record blue catfish last month.

It weighed 80lbs. 4ozs. and was 49 inches long. He caught it on cut up white bass.

He'd been crappie fishing but only caught a couple of white bass and took one of them and cut it into chunks and tossed it into a deep hole in the river. He was using 25lb test mono and it took him about 45 minutes to land it.

The laws differ from state to state but in Georgia it's legal to use game fish as bait ONLY if you caught them on a rod and reel. That's how he was able to use the white bass as bait.

Facebook Comments