November 24, 2017, 08:51:19 PM

Author Topic: No more Simmons for me  (Read 724 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
No more Simmons for me
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
Well?

I have been using the daughters savage 243 all this year.She got it when she was Quite young, it's a great little shooting gun BUT..

I just haven't been happy with the scope. It was a 3X9 Simmons. Up close it was OK clear and bright,but I seemed to struggle to get it to look right looking through ( to close or far ??) I just never could get it right. Way out on 8 and 9 power it was dark and fuzzy and I had two cross hears. I just could not handle it any more I took it off. I had my Bushnell elite 3X9 that I had on My 45/70 before the leaver action . I put it on and MAN It looks WAY better, clear all the way out, and snap in to focus upon shouldering. No more moving my head back and forth,Cool.Now all I have to do is go to the range and get her back to "0"

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: No more Simmons for me
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
The Bushnell Elite scopes are some pretty good glass.  O0  I wouldn't totally give up on the Simmons scopes though if I were you D.  It sounds like it was one of the cheaper Simmons that was on it.  As with any kind of cheap scope, you'll have some problems with them.

The Simmons Aetec are some good scopes, moderately priced.  I've got 1 on the .17 HMR, 1 on the .54 cal muzzleloader, and another in the safe that I haven't mounted yet.

The Bushnell Banner are kind of in the same class as the cheaper Simmons scopes.  The Elite models are pretty good though.

On any of them, when you start getting up to about $150 - $200 on the low end, then you're starting to get into some pretty decent glass.  O0  A general rule of thumb is that the scope should cost you as much as the rifle did.  O0

A lot of people flinch at that remark, but if you can't see it, you can't hit it.  :wink:

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »
the Bushnell install went well here is some test targets. The breeze was blowing to the right of the target.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
Not too shabby. O0

That'll do pig.  That'll do............  O0 ;D ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments