December 16, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

Author Topic: pushing Bergers hard SAFELY  (Read 1571 times)

Offline rdsii64

• Rookie Club Member
    • shooter64
pushing Bergers hard SAFELY
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
This past weekend I started working on how fast I can push a 175 grain bullet safely with my current setup. In VERY SMALL increments (read 1/10th grain) I have worked my way up to 44.6 grains of VV N150 . At this time I see no loose primers or primer flow, and the bolt opens and closes smoothly with no excess effort required. Since my loading press uses a floating shell plate I don't have shell holders to see if the fired case will slide into it without undue effort. Are there any other over preasure signs I should look for.
The complete load so far is:
VV N150 - 44.6 grns
Primer - Wolf large Rifle
Brass - Winchester Trmmed to 2.008
Bullet - 175 grn berger long range match bullet
COAL - 2.83
Barrel - 24" 12 twist
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am a right wing, God Fearing, gun owning, Heterosexual male.
How else may I piss you off today
http://www.youtube.com/user/rdsii64

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: pushing Bergers hard SAFELY
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »
This past weekend I started working on how fast I can push a 175 grain bullet safely with my current setup. In VERY SMALL increments (read 1/10th grain) I have worked my way up to 44.6 grains of VV N150 . At this time I see no loose primers or primer flow, and the bolt opens and closes smoothly with no excess effort required. Since my loading press uses a floating shell plate I don't have shell holders to see if the fired case will slide into it without undue effort. Are there any other over preasure signs I should look for.
The complete load so far is:
VV N150 - 44.6 grns
Primer - Wolf large Rifle
Brass - Winchester Trmmed to 2.008
Bullet - 175 grn berger long range match bullet
COAL - 2.83
Barrel - 24" 12 twist
I wouldn't think so. And your brass being fire formed without overdue pressure helps, too. You must have started with a suggested book load. You started with once fired factory loaded brass?

I'm glad to see you are working up with small increments.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments