November 20, 2017, 10:36:23 AM

Author Topic: 1st Hunt of the Season  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
1st Hunt of the Season
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
A buddy of mine and I headed down to SE KS to an area I knew a few years ago.  We did get down there late so I showed him the field and rough area to set up in and I head a 1/2 mile west to another field to set up.  Well I call him a few hours later and he had a tom in the field with him displaying but would not commit to coming in to the decoys.

A couple hours later I venture over towards him when I see 10 or so birds in another field between him and I about 300 or so yards away.  Get to him and tell him what I saw.  Said he had the better chance of getting a setup in the field from him direction just north of them and hope they come his way.

I head back to my blind and instead of just packing up and doing what I had suggested he goes down there to have a peek himself.  He is hanging out inside the tree line when the turkeys pop out across the way from him.  He has no blind, bow or anything with him.  Oh well so much for the first day for our hunt.  It was good to know that he saw 3 other Toms in this group and they were larger than the bird he saw earlier in the day.

Was good to get back  out into the field...............................
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: 1st Hunt of the Season
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
I didnt think Kansas opened til the 11th or 13th? ??? ???
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
Way to go Rookie! O0  There's something about being out in the woods in the spring that just can't be beat! O0

You'll get'em next time!!  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »
I seen two turkeys in my woods for the first time in like 10 years I known it I thought there would never be any out there but there is at least two O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
I didnt think Kansas opened til the 11th or 13th? ??? ???

Archery season 1 april - 13 april.  Gun starts on the 14th

From KDWP website:

"Archery hunters, anyone 16 years old or younger, and those with disability permits may hunt April 1-13. (All youth must have an adult supervisor during the youth season.) Youth and disabled hunters may use any legal equipment."

Tnutz, I appreciate the possible heads up though for we all have done something by mistake.  Good luck to you this year.

Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:02 AM »
Well, you'll have that on those big turkey hunts, hahahaha Good luck next time Rookie!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
Well, you'll have that on those big turkey hunts, hahahaha Good luck next time Rookie!
Yeah!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Hang in there!!

You'll whack 'em! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments