November 21, 2017, 12:37:59 PM

Author Topic: First Turkey Hunt of the... uh... life.  (Read 920 times)

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
First Turkey Hunt of the... uh... life.
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
 Bought a Box call before I left Easter weekend. Because of some complications with my dad's bad habits, I only got to hunt Sunday mornin', but what a hunt. I stepped out of the truck covered in my cammies, and one scratch on the new box call got me about three gobbles. I followed one over a creek, through the woods, and to Hell and back (so it seemed... it got hot in my camo), but he was in the neighbor's wheat field all along, so when I got there, he hauled it, and I couldn't shoot. I did this all without knowing ANYTHING about turkey hunting, and now I know that you let them come to you... I feel really good though, cause I saw one, which is more than most can say. I think I found something better than deer.  :D  Next time, I know where Ill set up (In the wheatfield on my side of the fence)... I don't care if I see one or not, I just love to hear em gobbling, which before this morning, I'd never heard. Plus, the weekend after next, when I go back, there will be more, because they are just starting to migrate back to the mating grounds from their wintering woods on the river... Again, I'm hooked. If deer gobbled, I'd have it made.
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline born-to-hunt

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
Re: First Turkey Hunt of the... uh... life.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
I am going to se about scouting for some in the mornin
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
See what you rascals did!  :roll: :knuppel2 ;D Now ya made a dang turkey hunter out of the kid!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
It's long been said that if turkeys had antlers, they'd be the most prized trophy on the North American continent.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »
Congrats and best of luck from another turkey rookie.  Still working on my first bird since I started hunting them 4 years ago.
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
It's long been said that if turkeys had antlers, they'd be the most prized trophy on the North American continent.  O0

That would be funky looking bird... even more than they already are! :D I kind of think of an elk as a gobbling deer, which is why I'm so excited about elk. I'm sure it is different, but something about those thundering sounds that animals make, whether it is a turkey, elk, or whatever. Makes the heart go crazy.
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Facebook Comments