November 17, 2017, 03:58:40 PM

Author Topic: Got One.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Got One.
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »
One of the guys under my command was involved in a shooting April 2, and he was forced to kill a guy who wouldn't throw down his handgun. I was up all that night dealing with that sh** and just went down to my club straight from work, still in uniform.

To be honest I really didn't feel like hunting, but knew from past experience I'd not be able to sleep either.

On March 31, another one of my guys was going home from work and some pos ran the light and T-boned his car and he's still in the hospital with internal injuries and a broken collar bone and both ankles with fractures and most likely will require pins to be inserted. Like I said, I really wasn't up to go hunting.

I got there and changed and I found I was the only guy there, so I went into an area I hadn't turkey hunted in yet and started with my owl call. I walked less than a 100 yards and got a real loud gobble down in a bottom area I hadn't been in since going overseas.

I thought I knew where he was so I turned off my flashlight and walked to an area that gave me good visibility, and a wide field of fire. I sat down with my back to an oak tree and started off with a couple of clucks and purrs.

He shot back with a loud gobble that made me think he was very close, and I had at least 15-20 minutes before I could see anything.

I didn't make any more calls and I could hear him walking past, but couldn't see him, and after letting him get behind me I was afraid I was going to lose him.

I was still afraid to make any more calls. I waited about 10 minutes and nothing happened so I gave three yelps and he gobbled back but was farther away, so I waited about 5 minutes and was about to yelp again when I heard him gobble to my left.

I had already moved after I heard him go past me, so I thought I was in pretty good shape, but he kept moving away down into the bottom again. I made a couple of clucks and had a second gobbler go off behind me.

When the second gobbler went off, I guess this pi**ed off the other guy because he came in making so much noise at first I thought it was a deer or wild hog.

He went behind a pine tree and when he came out, I figured him at less than 30 yards and when he gave me a good head shot I took it and he was down and flopped around a bit but was dead when I got to him.

Using the scales we had at the clubhouse, I weighed him and he was 20lbs. 2ozs. His beard was right at 10 inches and his left spur was just a nub but his right one tilted up to aprrox 1 1/8".

I took him to the processor and will pick him up this weekend if I go back, but it might be a little longer because I've got stuff to do that may take the weekend to finish.

Sorry no pictures, I left the camera at home, but the limit in Georgia is three so I still have two more to go, maybe next time.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
Re: Got One.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
Well good job man O0 that sounds like a nice bird congratz again O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
Week sure started off real bad but sure improved, bo! Nice going and nice bird!
How are your pals doing? Lots better, I hope!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:03 PM »
Great hunt man, gotta love it when it happens quick and easy like that. O0

Sorry to hear about your buds, and I hope everything works out for them. But you got to witness how nature has a way of helping us deal when we get to enjoy her in all her glory.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
I got back from the hospital a little while ago and it looks like my guy is going to recover but we're looking at maybe two or three years before his 100%. He's got a new family too and right now they're in the phase of wanting him to quit and do something else. We'll see. This kind of thing always happens after something like this.

The shoot was a good one. I've already seen the report and it was totally justified and he's been cleared by the dept.

This is Atlanta though and it's not uncommon for scumbags in the scumbag community to say this fine upstanding man with multiple arrests and convictions for things like....Aggrevated Assault, Spousal Abuse, Terroristc Threats, Battery, Possesion with Intent to Distribute and Convicted and Paroled Felon in Posession of a Firearm among others....

Was a fine example of a man and role model to the community, and the police should have talked to him nicely and got him to lay his weapon down, rather than shooting him.

Don't laugh, this happens here all the time.

Sorry for going off topic, but getting a turkey notwithstanding, it's been a pretty crappy week.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:15:20 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
Good to hear he is going to be ok and eventually recover.

Congrats on the bird!
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
Congrats on the bird man! O0  Sounds like he was a limb-hanger for sure!

Sorry to hear about your guys. :'(  Hope everything turns out OK and the scumbags just leave this one be. :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
Just got off the phone from a buddy I hunt with and he tells me the scales at our club are 1lb off.

So it looks like my bird was 19lbs 2ozs, instead of 20lbs 20zs. Oh well, it's only the third bird off our property this season and the other birds were 17lbs even and 15lbs 11ozs.

My buddy didn't know how long the other two's beards and spurs were.

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
Congrats BO!!!!! Thats awesome that a bad night turned out to be a good morning! Sorry about your friend, glad to hear he will be ok!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:25:07 AM »
Aw sorry to hear about the bad news Bo.
Nice job on the kill though!
Any chance of you ever getting any pics of anything ever?

I turned off my flashlight
This made me laugh. :D

Facebook Comments