October 23, 2017, 03:11:29 PM

Author Topic: Homebrew Trail Cameras  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Homebrew Trail Cameras
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
Step #11

We are now going to camo the camera. You can camo it this way or use your own imagination. We will start with a general application of liquid nail. We will apply it to the outside to make it look like bark or tree. After the liquid nail drys we will paint it. I recommend a flat camo paint.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
 Component list:

1. Yeti camera control board. Horizontal mount back control. Order the board with 1" standoffs and .9 wide angle fresnel. You can use other board manufactures such as bfoutdoors.com (bigfoot board), or snapshot sniper board.

2. Wal-mart small dry box. This box is located in the camping or fishing section.

3. Automotive goop. Can be found at wal-mart.

4. Python lock. Can be purchased at wal-mart or ollies some times sell them for $5

5. 9 volt battery holders and switch can be bought at radio shack.

6. Lens. Anti glare lens and standard lens can be bought at whitetailsupply.com. I recommend the anti glare lens because without it you can get glare from the sun.

7. 1" foam can be bought at lowes or any hardware.

8. 1/2" flash gasket rubber can be bought at a hobby store. Premade flash gaskets can be purchased at any board manufacturer.

9. The cameras can be bought on ebay or other camera outlets. This is what determines the cost of your unit. The cheaper you can get a camera for the cheaper your build will be. There are some tricks to getting a working camera cheap. I have bought these cameras for under $10 total and got them to work fairly easy. The sony s40 has a defect which is easy to fix. This defect can allow you to get one cheap. The camera will give a white screen which is a very easy fix. Do not get a camera with a black screen. The fix is on depreyswildlife.com. You can also get a s40 with a grinding lens.
This means there is dirt in the lens gear. The gears need to be cleaned. Its harder than the white screen but not to bad. The camera modification instructions are on the board manufactures sight or depreyswildlife.com. There are quite a few sights and information on this camera. The sony s600 has just about the same dimensions as the s40. This is a 6mp camera and will cost more. One caution is when you buy something from ebay you may not get what the descriptions say. It may have a white screen but not tell you that the lens will not extend. When buying these broken cameras it is a gamble. I look at it this way, if it doesn't work I got parts that I can use to repair other cameras.

Tools:

1) Soldering iron
2) Presicion screwdriver
3) 1" forstner bits
4) Drill bits
5) Drill
6) Utility knife

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
The flash gasket is a piece of foam that goes between the camera and the case. It will have holes in it that matches the camera lens hole and the flash hole. It keeps the flash from bleeding to the lens causing white in the picture.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »
Homebrew Camera Web Site

http://www.d.umn.edu/~shall/Homebrews.htm

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
Thats pretty cool BC O0 but i don't think i'd be able to make that not very constructive.
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
Be honest.

Tell the truth.

bb84 taught you how to do this, didn't he?
 :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline silbowhunter

Re: Home brew Trail Cameras
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
There are a few very helpful home brew sites/forums.
Not that you didn't do fine just thought I would let others know there is a lot of help for anyone wanting to try a home brew.
Not taking anything away from buckshot164 but he learned what he knows from those sites/forums.
I've been building home brew trail cams for around 6 years.  :wink:
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through

Gut Pile Gangster

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
Be honest.

Tell the truth.

bb84 taught you how to do this, didn't he?

Nope, I stated up front that I stole it from someone else.  :wink: ;D  The main reason that I posted all of the stuff here instead of just posting a link to the topic on Archery Talk was the pictures.  You have to register on Archery Talk to be able to see the pictures.  Rather than have all of ya'll register on there just to see the pictures, I figured it would be easier for ya'll if I just posted everything here and then attached the pictures.

I've wanted to make a homebrew camera for several years now.  I have yet to do it because I really hate messing with electronics like that.  That's just not my cup of tea. :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments