November 24, 2017, 07:49:54 AM

Author Topic: My first miss in 12 years!!!!!!  (Read 1289 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
My first miss in 12 years!!!!!!
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
I know, I know that might be hard to believe but it is true and to beat all..........he was only 30 yards!!!!!!!

The morning started off a little chilly here in the mountains but I was hoping some gobbling would warm me up. I only heard one gobble at sunrise, and he was in that mid range area where he really is too far to mess with but close enough that he just might work. So with nothing else making a sound I eased down the tree line on top of the ridge to find a tree to set up against and blind call awhile. As I was scratching the leaves back with my foot, GOBBLE!!!!!!!! not 100 yards down the ridge to my right. I am stoked now, only problem is that it is pretty light by now and he is close. The other problem I had is that part of the ridge dropped off almost vertical between me and him and I needed to get 50 yards to my right to the saddle where I guess he would come up if he came. Well I only made it 30 of the 50 before I decided to quit pushing my luck. So I sit covering the only opening through the saplings and knee high briars there is.

I yelp........nothing, yelp again softly........ nothing.

I purr and cluck..........GOBBLE!!!

Man he is close, so I just keep lightly purring and clucking and scratching the leaves. Man he loved that leaf scratching!!

ten minutes later I hear....... PPPFFFFFTTTT!!!!!!! and walking in the leaves. The two gobbles, owe man 2 birds are coming. At about 80 yards I see the black volkswagen coming through the woods up the saddle and towards me. I am praying he stays left into my shooting lane. He keeps on strutting his way to me and actually to my left until........ he ends up directly behind a hickory at 40 yards and spits, drums and gobbles for 5 minutes. Then everything went bad, when he came out from behind the tree he went to my right, into the saplings and briars. Well if he came hard right I could swing when he went behind another big tree, but no he came straight at me through that thick stuff. I keep my sights on him and continues to strut towards me. Now just about this time the sun peaked the ridge and lit me up like a spotlight and I admit I got nervous about being seen. Just about then he came out of strut and stretched that neck up I guess looking for the hen. But at the time I thought " Crap he has seen something reflecting or something, shoot now or never!!" So I lined the sights up (or so I thought) and squeezed it off. He rolled over backwards, and I jumped up. He was just standing there, so I sight in again and pull the trigger, CLICK!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

Now here is my disclaimer for 3.5" pump guns. Them darn turkey loads kick so freaking hard that they basically pump the gun for you. The gun had pumped back far enough to shuck the empty but not bring the shell up from the bottom. So when pumped it back forward there was no shell there to be chambered. I believe now that I will be in the market for a semi-auto turkey gun now. End disclaimer

So as I try to re-pump my gun he putts once and flies off the ridge into the rising sun. I think he may have landed somewhere in Canton after our encounter. I am eating two breast feather soup tonight for supper.

The good news is I did hear at least 2 other birds up there and that saddle was flat tore up with sign. I will give them a break this week but will beback in there Friday mornig trying to redeem myself.

Oh, did I mention that I was shaking like a leaf after all that, man I love this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: My first miss in 12 years!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
Quite a day, Ned! Yep, I think you need an autoloader. How about a 10 GA Mag autoloader?  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »
I had a Remington SP10 once. It was a sweet little 10 gauge. But even when I was a youngin' and living in the flatlands that damn thing was to heavy tot tote around. And now that I am older and out of shape AND living in these steep arse mountains........... you can forget it!!!!! ;D ;D

Ned

FOREVER G540

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
You know I was 2 seconds away from recomending the SP10 to you it looks pretty nice.
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »
Hey, at least you got a shot... I wish I could have had at least a miss. ???
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Guess you've been rabbit hunting too long Ned.  :roll:  Apparently, if it's standing still and not running flat out, you can't hit it!  ;D

Have you considered a low power scope or red dot for your gun?  ???  The one I'm taking this year has 2x scope on it.  Those cross hairs made a heck of a difference when I was patterning the gun. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »
I might try a red dot in the future.

I shot my Franchi today at 40 yards and it looked very nice but not as nice as my Remington. I will probably hunt with the Franchi some while here in the woods where 30 yards is more the norm. I will have to break out the 870 again when I go to eastern NC for a 3 day hunt because them field birds like to hang up at 50 yards and the 870 is very lethal out to 60 if needed. I have a beard in my shed from a slightly misjudged distance on a field bird the was DRT at 62 yards back in 2008.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
Need to get ya' a double barrel 10 gauge!!! O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:06:41 AM »
I might try a red dot in the future.

I shot my Franchi today at 40 yards and it looked very nice but not as nice as my Remington. I will probably hunt with the Franchi some while here in the woods where 30 yards is more the norm. I will have to break out the 870 again when I go to eastern NC for a 3 day hunt because them field birds like to hang up at 50 yards and the 870 is very lethal out to 60 if needed. I have a beard in my shed from a slightly misjudged distance on a field bird the was DRT at 62 yards back in 2008.

Ned
Hey I got one Im fixen to take off my moss. 20g. and sell. O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
All kidding aside, you might want to look at the 835 Mossberg. It fires the 3 1/2" shells.

It's not an expensive gun by any means and takes a pounding. I know several guys who swear by them too when they turkey hunt.

I bought one years ago just for deer hunting when we ran them with dogs and it was by far the best buckshot gun I've ever owned. I've dropped it and banged it up but it's still a killer.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments