November 23, 2017, 10:58:08 PM

Author Topic: Shot Placement  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Black_Ops

Shot Placement
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »
Alright, I have been looking and looking, and reading and reading, and there is a lot of debate out there regarding proper shot placement on a hog. Most of what Ive seen is going for a low shoulder shot..I guess you could say an armpit shot. But I also am smart enough to know that head shot count. What say you? Please, school this fool!

Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Shot Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
Lung, neck and shoulder shots all work well. If you can hit the neck, by all means go for it, but remember that hogs are not as big as people think. It's always best to shoot for the largest lethal target you have available, which should be the lung/heart area.

I've read alot over the years about how tough hogs are to kill and I wonder who these guys are to make such a claim. I killed my first hog in 1974 and over the years have hunted them sucessfully in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas and even West Germany when I was stationed there. Truth is, hogs can be tough but they're not THAT tough.

The biggest hog isn't always the toughest one either. I was hunting hogs with dogs in south Georgia once and shot one with my .44 magnum at about 25 feet. I hit it right in the heart/lung area and it turned and charged me.

I fired again and actually saw the meat fly off the right shoulder where the .240 grain hollow point was DEFLECTED and I jumped out of the way as he ran past me and I shot him again in the chest and he ran to the bottom of a draw and he actually tried to prop himself up against a tree.

I ran up and actually put the barrel of my model 29 against it's spine where it connects to the neck and shot again and killed it. The hog weighed less than 140lbs!!

But he just didn't want to give up the ghost.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Black_Ops

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »
Yeah, I am smart enough to know that all of the "super hogs" stories about bullets bouncing off off them is craziness. But I look at it this way, its not that much different with people..you shoot someone, and that adrenaline starts flowing, it might be a few more shots, or a brain shot before they kick the bucket. Maybe im crazy, and I am, but im anticipating the first time i get one to charge..ill be fixing bayonet, or already be unsheathed...ah...reminds me of the good ole days. lol

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
all head shots... all the time :buck2
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I hope they're not as tough as people. Asked my gramps what ww2 was like and for the rifles, he said people would get shot 5 or 10 times and still shoot back for a good while.  That's with big 30-06 and 8mm mauser cartridges.  Its not like the movies where someone gets shot one time in the ass and falls to the ground helplessly.
The tanks could fling people a football field away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:13:15 PM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline Black_Ops

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
Against a tank....id just use my 1911. They kill tanks. And maybe pigs. Would a .45 work ya think?

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »

Against a tank....id just use my 1911. They kill tanks. And maybe pigs. Would a .45 work ya think?

at a short distance I think that would bring down a pig O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
45 would work but you'd be real close to the beasts. You arent going to get any kill shots with a 1911 at 100 yards, even half that.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
 Go with what you are comfy with. I shoot the head and shoulder, but I am comfortable with my rifle, sights, etc. If you can hit the head, do it. It kills less meat. Those stories about bullets bouncing off are hogwash (hahaha) but it can take a few shots before the hogs decide to die. And bohica, that is similar to what my uncle went through. He unloaded a .45, a 30-06, and a 30-30 in a pig before it went to the ground. It messed his truck up from butting up against it.
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Black_Ops

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
I am hunting to fill freezers anyway. Trophies will come later. Knowing that I provided food for the family and friends is a lot of satisfaction. Then again, so is a gnarly old boar on the wall.

Facebook Comments