November 20, 2017, 06:26:44 AM

Author Topic: Turkey in snow shoes?  (Read 870 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Turkey in snow shoes?
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
This is what I have been putting up with so far this season.

In town there is 8" just out of town at 5800 feet in the mountains there is as much as 3 feet. How the heck do I hunt turkey like that ?? I'm open to any real information, and yes I have herd all the "Turkey" in the snow jokes from the wife.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
Re: Turkey in snow shoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »
I think with all that snow I would just hunt that special breed that you can find at the super market, I think they call it butter ball!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Good luck D, I have no idea what to tell you to do in that stuff. I hunted one youth day here with about 4" on the ground. They did gobble on the roost and flew down into a depp holler out of the wind and just hung out. They did not answer calls or move much.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
D45, if I was in your snowshoes, I would seriously consider moving to Arizona.  :roll: ;D

Heck, it's probably warmer in Alaska than where you live.  ;D

Why don't ya just collect one of those frozen turkeys out of a snowdrift? You would just have to thaw it out after getting home.

It's so cold where you live, you can't carry on a conversation because the words freeze and you can't hear the words until you take them inside and thaw them out.
Your state bird is a snowflake.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:22 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
Try to figure out where they're traveling and roosting.  After that, find you a good place to sit down and wait them out.  You should be able to catch them coming or going to/from the roost.  O0

When I've had turkeys that didn't want to play nice, I started hunting them like deer.  Just sit and ambush them. O0  A time or two, I've not even had to call.  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
Global Warming at its meanest. Lucky for me to live in the Lone Star State I guess.  ;D
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Facebook Comments