November 20, 2017, 10:13:20 AM

Author Topic: Patience Nothing! I'm Killing Something!  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Patience Nothing! I'm Killing Something!
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:20 AM »
Just like the 2 old buzzards sitting on a limb, as one looks at the other and says, "Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something!"

The poor little feller didn't stand a chance.  ;D :twisted: O0  Our season opened Saturday morning.  Daylight found me sitting against my favorite tree on a bench of a knob that I've found is a favorite strutting area for the turkeys. O0  I heard 5-6 gobbling around my, but none were close enough to mess with.  I sat there and called every so often just in case one was going to come in silent.  About 7:30 AM, I head a loud cluck and looked down the hill and could see a turkey coming in to me.  :twisted:  As he was coming in, I can normally see the beard swinging, but this one I couldn't.  As he starting coming up the hill, he stopped, giving me a perfect 25 yd shot at his head/neck.  I hesitated a little though, since I hadn't seen the beard yet (only bearded turkeys are legal).  As a sat there looking his head over through the scope, I finally decided that it was probably a jake because it was definitely a male's head that I was looking at.

I'm guessing at that distance, probably about 50% of the pellets in that load hit him.  ;D :twisted:  After I walked up on him, he had about a 3" beard.  ;D ;D  But as they say, "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush".  O0

I'll get some pictures of the little feller up tonight. :wink:  I'm at work right now and can't resize the things.

Saturday morning before I shot that one, I head another gobbling over across the road on some of our other land.  Since you're only allowed 1 per day in KY, I spent the rest of the day mowing momma's yard.  Sunday morning, I was up on the hill above the shooting shack, where it sounded like the bird had been.  As I sat there, I head 2-3 over across the road where I had been Saturday morning.  >:( :tickedoff  Freaking birds!!!  :tickedoff  If I had had another day, I could have probably filled my other tag.

I'm going to hit it again Saturday morning, but I'll have the boy with me then. O0  Hopefully we'll be able to find one that's looking for some lovin'.  :wink:

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline silbowhunter

Re: Patience Nothing! I'm Killing Something!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
Being a mod I would expect a little better out of ya, no picture ?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

What's JA going to think.

Where you from in Ky east or west side ?

congrats on the bird.  O0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:43:38 PM by silbowhunter »
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through

Gut Pile Gangster

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
There's only so much we can do on the computers here at work.  :wink:

There's more to KY than just east or west.  :roll:  I'm in Central KY, and hunt almost in the geographic center of the state.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »
Congrats on the bird BC O0 he goin in the contest?
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
Way to go!! O0 O0 O0

How many flashlights did you use? :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:14:07 PM »
Poor jake, you and Jenny are taking the easy way out killing them things!! ;D

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »
How many flashlights did you use? :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Just 1, my trusty MiniMag light...........  Or is it a Bear Cub?  ???    ;D ;D

Poor jake, you and Jenny are taking the easy way out killing them things!! ;D

Ned

Hey says as Jenny and I are eating fresh wild turkey while ol' Ned gets stuck with that toxic "store bought" meat.  :shock:

;D ;D ;D

OK, here's the pictures.  O0

Here was the critter after I got to him.  It had rained here on Friday, so everything was still wet Saturday morning.  I shot and saw he wasn't going to go anywhere, so I just let him flop as I got all my calls together that I had out.  By the time I got to him, he was a little wet.  ;D  If you look close, you can actually see the beard.  ;D ;D

The 'field' shot.  O0

A shot on the 4 wheeler.  O0  I carried him out down out of the woods and then dropped him in the food plot while I went to get the 4 wheeler.  Ain't no sense in carrying that thing if I didn't have to.  :wink: ;D

The "remains" after I got done with him.  ;D  There was some feathers, a few bones, and the guts left.  Everything else I took. O0

And the meat shot.  Nothing like a good bag of wild turkey meat and a good knife used to dress it out with.  O0  This was the last knife that I got from John.  The thing didn't have a bit of trouble with the turkey and was just the right size to get in all of the little nooks and crannies to get all the meat.  O0

These were taken tonight after I got done cleaning the meat up (something Ned is doing without right now  ;D ).  This one is of the breast meat.

Legs, thighs, gizzard, heart, & liver

And after everything was vacuum sealed and packaged up.  O0

That's it.  Hopefully I'll have more pictures next weekend of a long beard.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:42 PM »
And the last one, so Bohica can see them.  :roll:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:32 PM »
looks tasty BC :wink: might be a jake but he'll be extra tender O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
I may not have fresh turkey, but at least I have some rabbit in my fridge!!

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments