November 22, 2017, 10:46:36 PM

Author Topic: The WORST turkey hunter ever.............long  (Read 912 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
The WORST turkey hunter ever.............long
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »
Is ME!!!!!!!!!!! I had three uninterrupted days to chase birds in Vance and Warren Co. and have nothing to show for it. Here is the story so ya'll will understand.

Thursday:  Went to the one farm that has always had birds on it. Parked and walked back to the cemetery to listen. As light approached I heard nothing. Then I heard a truck pull into the land next to this piece, and since the piece I can hunt is small and surrounded by the other piece I decided to check out the front of the farm. I walked back past the truck to the middle of a big field and hooted. I was shocked to be greeted with a gobble from near a small field just through the woods not 150 yards away. As I walked to cross the pond dam to get to this field I heard another gobble to my left on the power line. I stopped to decide which bird. The bird near the small field was gobbling non-stop and the other bird was barely gobbling....decision made. I got to the small fiedl only to find him on the ground with a hen. I snuck through the woods and got to about 100 yards and set up on the edge. He would not come close enough for the shot. Wish I could have gotten the dekes out but oh well. Just then a bird gobbles across the creek in the big field I had just crossed. I called and he was coming hard. He ended up hanging up at about 80 yards, he would not cross the creek just sat there gobbling. I eased back and made a wide circle so I could cross the creek. He kept gobbling the entire time I moved to cross the creek. Just as I crossed the creek and looked for a place to sit some deer walked up on me. I froze but they smelled me and went to blowing the woods down and then they ran. And of course they ran right at my gobbling bird. I still have not heard another peep from that bird. So back to bird #1 who was still gobbling in the field. Since I was down in the woods a good ways I circled bird #1 to get on the same side of the field and hopefully in front of him. Well as I got close I heard the most awful sound..... some yahoo blowing a crow call like he was playing the saxophone!!! And that stupid bird was gobbling at it. So I had to decide weather to deal with the trespassers or keep trying to kill this bird. They kept blowing that crow call and walking straight to the bird, eventually I got my answer when the hen and gobbler ran across the field spooked. I never caught up with whoever it was but I promise they heard what I was thinking at that time.
     So now off to the power line to see if I can find that bird. Well I find him strutting in a small field with a jake and NO hens. I think heck yeah I am in business. I get to the edge of this 100 yard wide field. Me one one edge and bird #3 on the other. I purr and cluck and he gobbles and struts. Finally the jake starts to feed me way with the gobbler right behind him. They get to about 70 yards and stop, he struts forever it seems like, but they would not come any closer. They would start to feed off and I would purr again and the would come back to that spot and strut. I thought lonely gobblers were supposed to come running!!! Eventually when the "hen" did not show herself they fed off and left the field. I guess having my dekes out would have helped me there too. Also, I never found or heard that bird again either. I went back to the small field where bird #1 was roosted after lunch and sat from 2pm to 6pm with no results.

Friday: Took my 10 year old daughter Cheyenne and had to be back at the house by 10am so I went to a new farm that was smaller. Dad had listened at this farm on Monday and not heard anything but I had my fingers crossed. We left the truck to get to the back of a big field on the edge of the big woods. Halfway there I hear a gobble...... at 5:40am!!! We set up on the field edge with dekes and everything thinking he would fly down at daylight to the field since he was only roosted 50 yards into the woods. Just then another bird gobbles 100 yards to my right roosted behind the pond. I am thinking heck yes two birds both 100 yards away at opposite ends of this field we are in business. Well bird #1 flies down and goes with hens I guess and goes the other way. Bird #2 only gobbled about 6 times to bird #1's 100 times so I am thinking that bird #2 is subordinate and will come in quiet. An hour after the last gobble from either bird I can't sit any longer. I stand up and see bird #2 feeding along the edge of the field still on the other end showing no interest.  Of course he  saw me too and scooted out of there. Oh well, i will come back this afternoon, it's time to meet my friend at the house and see if we can catch some bass.

Friday afternoon...... got back to the farm at 5pm and slipped into the woods where bird #1 was roosted. The oak ridge is torn to pieces and I like my chances. Especially when I get set up and call and he gobbles straight down the ridge from me maybe 200 yards. I purr and scratch leaves and he gobbles. Once I can tell he is coming I stop calling and get ready. I finally see him through the trees coming right up the ridge to me. He stops and struts at about 50 yards but there is too much brush so I wait. Then a second bird walks up and they both gobble. I am starting to think that I am about to have a 30 minute afternoon hunt. The strutter breaks strut and takes a few more steps, I am about to bust waiting on 10 more yards. All of  sudden he just starts off to my left, his buddy in tow. They make a perfect half circle around me and end up in the field directly behind me. I am thinking WTF!!!!! I know they did not see me I was brushed in very nicely. As I sit there scratching my head in wonder they strut and gobble in the field showing no interest in my calls until 6:30 when they walk off in the block of woods behind the pond. I wait till 7:30 to see if they gobble going to roost but no luck. I decide I will bring the blind and camp in that field in the morning even if it rains.

Saturday......... set up in the blind with dekes out by 5:20 just waiting on the morning music to start. I will make this part of the story quick. I left the farm at 9am and never heard the first gobble or saw the first bird all morning. Checked some other farms and they were dead too. The wind got up and I was disgusted so I decided I would rather drink cold beer and enjoy the fish fry then go back in the evening.

So that is why I am the worst turkey hunter ever. I heard 7 different birds in 2 days and worked 5 of them. You just don't know what it does to a man's confidence when you work gobblers that are alone and they show you no interest other than a courtesy gobble. As for the statement that has been said, if you get a bird to gobble in the afternoon you are pretty much guaranteed to kill that bird, well its not true. I wish I knew why those 2 birds circled me, even with them being so fired up, they coverd the first 200 yards in 5 to 7 minutes.

So I will be enlisting the services of a guide for my hunt tomorrow, we will see if my jinx will affect Sudden Impact or of ot's just me.:confused::D

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: The WORST turkey hunter ever.............long
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
Sounds like you had a heck of a time Ned.  It was still better than work though wasn't it?  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
Bud, I feel for ya! Im having tag soup myself right now... I still got a month in Kansas and 2 weeks in Mo. iffen the weather would get right in both places. I gave up on Okla... :-\
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
So, how did Sunday go, Ned?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
JA, Sunday I woke up and drove back home. Hunting is NOT allowed on Sundays in NC.

Struck out again today here in the mountains. The wind blew 30 mph so we heard nothing at my guides honey hole. We finally found a bird on a farm that had some hollers down and out of the wind. He would gobble but the hens took him away fast. We also had a weird thing happen, had a gobbler fly to us at 10am this morning while we were walking an old road and calling. He landed about 50 yards away but before either of us had a chance to do anything he putted and ran back down the hill. I have had birds fly off the roost to me but never once they were on the ground to fly uphill to calling. We had actually walked past this bird. I sure wish he would have gobbled so we would have known he was there.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
Hang in there! You'll get 'em! O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments