October 17, 2017, 02:07:12 AM

Author Topic: How Did They Rate Your States 2009 Deer Season?  (Read 732 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
How Did They Rate Your States 2009 Deer Season?
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »
I just read in a local outdoor magazine that polled deer hunters in Georgia, about how good or bad was this years deer season. It seems a buttload felt it was the worst season in like 6 or 7 years.

I was playing in the big sandbox in 2007 and 2008 so my personal experience is somewhat limited, but I agree even before going overseas, I saw things getting worse rather than better.

The big complaints here were too many does being killed, mandatory antler restrictions and too great an emphasis on QDM and even what constitutes QDM.

What are they saying where you hunt? Is it getting better, worse? How are they comparing the 2009 season with past saesons?
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline 2Nutz

Re: How Did They Rate Your States 2009 Deer Season?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
Dont much care bout here Bo. They keep changen boundries and such so i wont hunt deer here from now on. But in Okla. it was low still good though.
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
My season sucked.  >:(  Yeah, I got 2 deer, but that was the early season.  From mid October on until the end of the season, I didn't see anything!  The places that I hunted, I've hunted for years.  I know where the deer travel, if they're there.

In 2007, I hunted more and harder than I had for several years.  I saw 3 deer the entire season!  :tickedoff  After that, I really didn't feel like going last year.  I took the boy opening weekend of gun season.  We saw 4 deer the entire weekend, but all 4 were ones we jumped up while riding the 4 wheeler.

This past fall, I saw 4 does on 10/1, taking one of them.  Two weeks later, I saw 1 deer and shot it.  That was the last deer I saw all year.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
Now BC, we all know that's because you're huntin' too far from home. Wasn't that monster taken might near in your backyard ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
Yeah, that girl took that monster right close to here.  There was also a really big 10 pt taken basically behind the house out here, on the other side of the creek.

There's plenty of big deer around here, but hunting rights are at a premium around here. :shock:  I've got 163 acres I can hunt down at momma's.  Why pay for a lease around here when I've got the other land?  :wink:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
South Ga to me was very bad this year. In 3 months of hunting at least 1-2 days during every week, I saw a total of 3 deer the whole season. One of those, My dad took a week later after I saw it. Been that way for the last 2 years on the land I hunt.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
Well, it appears that I wasn't the only one who had a bad season in Marion County.  ;D  The KDFWR moved us back a zone number for this coming fall.

Each county in the state is given one of 4 zone designation numbers, with Zone 1 being the most liberal and Zone 4 being the most restrictive.

Zone 1 counties are said to be overpopulated and in need of herd reduction.
Zone 2 counties are said to be where they want the numbers to be.
Zone 3 counties are in need of a little herd growth.
Zone 4 counties are in need of quite a bit of herd growth.

For several years, they had Marion County zoned as 1, primarily due to its proximity to other zone 1 counties. >:(  They finally moved us to a zone 2 about 2 years ago.  This year, they moved us back to a zone 3.

So far, here's what is proposed for the deer season structure this coming fall (pending legislative approval):

Proposed 2010-11 Deer Seasons
Statewide all zones:
Archery (buck or doe) Sept. 4, 2010 Jan. 17, 2011
Crossbow (buck or doe) Oct. 1-17 and Nov. 13 Dec. 31
Early Youth Weekend (buck or doe) Oct. 9-10
Early Muzzleloader (Zones 1, 2 and 3 buck or doe, Zone 4 antlered buck only) Oct. 16-17
Late Muzzleloader (Zones 1, 2 and 3 buck or doe) Dec. 11-19
Late Muzzleloader (Zone 4 antlered buck only) Dec. 11-16; buck or doe Dec. 17-19
Late Youth Weekend (buck or doe) Jan. 1-2, 2011

Zones 1 and 2:
Modern Firearms (buck or doe) Nov. 13-28

Zones 3 and 4:
Modern Firearms (Zone 3 buck or doe, Zone 4 antlered buck only)
Nov. 13-22
Deer harvest limits remain the same as last year.

One other thing that is going to affect MY season in the coming years is that the KDFWR just bought a bunch of land in Marion County and are still in the process of turning it into a Wildlife Management Area.  The reason that I say that this is going to affect me is that some of our property borders the WMA property. >:(  So now, I'm going to have to contend with more trespassers than normal, as well as every Tom, Dick, & Harry hunting the land and shooting any deer that they see, which is going to decrease the population on our land.  :tickedoff

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »
Somethings going to have to be done here too.

There's many things out of whack, but Group #1 says one thing, Group #2 says another, Group #3 says something else and Group #4 says something else again.

The only consensus is that the status quo sucks.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
The thing that really ticks me off about the KDFWR is that they'll have hunters telling them that they aren't seeing any deer, there's too many does being taken, etc, but they don't listen.  They'll sit right there and tell people that they (the hunters) don't know what they're talking about because their population models say that there's "X" number of deer in the county.  :tickedoff :tickedoff

WTF!!!  :tickedoff  You've got the people that are out there day in and day out hunting the areas, but they take the word of someone that does 1-2 population surveys a year over them?  Something ain't right there.  >:(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments