November 23, 2017, 09:59:45 AM

Author Topic: Oh how sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
Oh how sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
To finally break the jinx!!!!!!!! Woke up to another windy morning here but decided I needed to try no matter what. Picked up my buddy and went to the place I missed opening day. We parked and listened down low in case the birds were down in the big holler again. Right at 6am we heard a bird gobble behind us, but with the wind it sounded like a pigeon cooing. Since we were below it we knew we needed to move. We got back in the truck and drove up another road to try and get on the same level as the bird. We got parked again and the bird was still gobbling good. From here we could actually tell what ridge the bird was on and we were lucky enough to have an old road the circled the ridge to the right. We walked the road and got to where the ridge crossed it and eased into the woods on the same ridge as the bird and above him. We got settled and I called softly and he answered. I scratched and purred.... nothing. I yelped softly again and he answered again closer. I got quiet. My buddy was watching the right side of the ridge and I was watching the left. After a couple minutes I yelp again and he gobbled at 50 yards straight ahead. A few seconds later I could hear the spit and drum, but he had came up the right side of the ridge and I was waiting on my buddy to shoot any second. Then I hear putts, so quickly I call softly and I hear walking in the leaves. I see the bird crossing the ridge from right to left and he stops at 25 yards and runs his neck up to look for a girlfriend for the last time!! From first call to shot was right at 10 minutes!! Why do they make it so easy after making it so darn tough the last 3 weeks? Anyway, 2 year old bird with 7/8" and 1" spurs, 8" beard, he had some beard rot, and 18.5 pounds, shot at 6:40am. I am so happy to finally break the jinx. Now it's time to mow the grass so I can take the kids fishing this afternoon.

My score from the NWTF for this bird is 53.0625 for the contest BC.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline born-to-hunt

• LOOK A DISTRACTION!!!
Re: Oh how sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »
nice kill BS sounds like an interesting hunt O0
.:I own guns I don't want to shoot people people dont want to shoot me because I own guns:.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
Congrats on the bird Ned!  O0  You just proved the main thing of turkey hunting......... you can't get one unless you go.  :wink:

BTW, I wish I had had a camera with me today while I was going to get the pup.  I drove through a little wide spot in the road somewhere in Eastern KY called "Ned".  ;D  If I had had the camera I would have gotten you a picture.  ;D

Congrats again on the bird.  I'll get to work on the contest sometime this week adding in everyone's points. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
Nice bird, Ned!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
Way to go bro!! O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments