November 22, 2017, 05:23:21 PM

Author Topic: Couldn't Believe it. Had Nice Weather....For Once.  (Read 1211 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Couldn't Believe it. Had Nice Weather....For Once.
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
Woke up Saturday morning and it was about 68 degrees and no wind and it finally felt like turkey hunting weather.

This time I didn't forget my hen decoy and got 2 gobbles at one spot when I gave it my owl call and decided to go after the closest sounding one. I ran in as far as I felt I could go and put up the decoy and sat down and waited about 2 or 3 minutes and let go with a few yelps.

He gobbled back and was definitely coming in. I stopped calling to see if the decoy would be enough. almost 20 minutes later I have no turkey and decide to yelp again. This time he sounded like he was down in a creek bottom less than 50-60 yards away.

I put up the call and waited. I saw him just for a second as he walked off to my left and I waited for him to get behind me and I let go with a few clucks and waited.

Nothing. I'm thinking he must be blind because where I figured he was would have been in a perfect spot to see the decoy.

I just sit there and I hear the very obvious sound of something with a huge wingspan flying over me and away.

It happened so fast that I never saw the bird, but I couldn't figure out how I spooked him. Maybe the decoy didn't look right, or maybe I moved but I didn't think so.

So I just sat there for about a minute and was thinking about what to do next when all of a sudden I heard a gobble that sounded like it was on my back it was so close.

I still don't know what kept me from jumping thirty feet in the air, because it caught me totally off guard.

I see this black blur go running past me towards the decoy and he stops about 20 feet away from it and does his little dance back and forth.

I was so F***ing shocked that all I could do was stare. I'm guessing it must have taken me at least a minute to recover and to process what I was seeing.

When I finally got my s**t together, and after he moved away from the decoy.

One shot later.

One dead turkey.

Someone took our weigh scale, so it's only a guess, but I'd say he was close to if not over 19lbs and the spurs were 1 1/2" at least and I'd say an 7 or 8 inch beard.

I THINK this was the turkey I heard earlier but was too far away. I'm GUESSING the one I called up from the creek bottom, ran into him and got chased off.

The limit is three and next weekend is the last weekend of the season, so I'll try and go again, but if not, I'm happy.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Couldn't Believe it. Had Nice Weather....For Once.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:19:58 AM »
Nice job.......great story........gotta love tirkey hunting  O0
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
Nice going, bo!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 The rascal didn't fool ya, after all.  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »
Pretty cool man!  Congrats!!! O0  Sounds like he was a bonified "limb-hanger" with those spurs.  The longest I had heard of here in KY this year was 1 5/8".  Still, at 1 1/2", that's a hoss!  :shock:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
SPURS HUH......I can't wait until I break the ice with a big old Tom with spurs......but heck......now that I'm an expert .....shouldn't be long at all  ;D
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
SPURS HUH......I can't wait until I break the ice with a big old Tom with spurs......but heck......now that I'm an expert .....shouldn't be long at all  ;D

Yours had spurs too. O0  Every time you're in the woods turkey hunting, you'll learn something new out about the contankerous little birds.  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
Great job Bo!!! O0 O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
Thanks Much!

With all the garbage and intrigue we've had going on around here, this was really the first time since the season opened that I was actually in the mood to go!

I have a mounted turkey with spurs that are 1 1/2" and this guy was his twin. I saw a picture today of one shot in South Georgia earlier in the season that had 2" spurs! Talk about cool!! O0 O0 O0

There were three of us hunting this weekend and one of the guys was not far from me when I shot. He came over to see if I needed help, but by the time he got there I was gone.

He decides to head back to our clubhouse and while he's walking down a firebreak we use, he sees my Pen Woods yelper laying in the pine straw. Either coming in or going out, it had fallen out of what I thought was a deep pocket. I hadn't noticed it though.

I've had this call since I was teenager. It's no longer made and wasn't expensive, but I've used it so much over the years and feel so comfortable with it, I always take it along.

I used it when I killed my biggest Osceola turkey in Florida. I'm going to go to Bass Pro tomorrow to get a call pouch or I might go ahead and buy a vest with all the call holders in it.

If I'd lost that call; I'd have gone back to feeling crappy again, and would not have been fun to be around.

:tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
 :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
Sure was great your pal found your lost call, bo!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments