November 24, 2017, 05:23:08 PM

Author Topic: TURKEY IN THE ROOST  (Read 1315 times)

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
TURKEY IN THE ROOST
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
Do you guys think that turkeys will roost about the same place (ridge) even if we spooked them on the last night we hunted there (last Sunday) I'm going up this weekend......are my chances still good that they will be on the same ridge in the same trees (area)????......or once we spook them will they tend to travel elsewhere to roost.......wha ya think ??
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: TURKEY IN THE ROOST
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
They should still be in the general area. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
The say an undisturbed eastern will roost within 50 yards of the same tree eveery night. But since you busted that one he might not be on the same ridge but I bet he will still be close enough to hear if you start there.

How was he spooked? Was it daylight or dark?

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
He should remain near to that area, but probably won't be in the same tree.

Since you know what type of tree he was in and it's size, see if anything within 200-250 yard circumference looks similar to the one you spooked him out of. You might find him in that one.

Obviously keep a look around the base of trees for any droppings!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »
We hunted the ridge right up until dark and we heard them fly up but were just a little to far away.....and when walking out at dark we spooked 3 different birds........we tried our best not to but the ridge we were hunting was hard to get on and off with using the trial where the birds were

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
Well if it was dark enough to where they could not see and tell what you were then they may stay closer than you think. Turkeys get spooked all the time at night by all kinds of things. But if it was still light enough to see then they may move off a little farther but they should still be in the general area.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Offline SCHINK

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
Thanks Ned.......another question.......how close do they approach the ROOSTING TREE before flying.........I THINK I have an idea which direction they are coming in from.......how close do you think I should set up by the roost trees.....sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.......but I never even tried to hunt them like that......I mostly hunt them as they are coming off the roost

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
It varies with the lay of the land as to how/where they fly up from.  The turkeys around home will go up a hill and get above their roost tree and fly into it that way.  I've also seen them get within 30 yds or so of the tree and go up that way, and then keep working their way up the tree until they find a limb they like.

As far as how close to set up, try to get as close as you can without busting them out of there.  It's easier said than done, but generally that's about 100 yds.  I have snuck in to within 20 yds of the trees before, but that was an accident.  Within a couple hundred yards of their roost though, I turn off the flashlight and pick my way very slowly and quietly up to where I want to be.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
In the evenings in my experience, (and I have killed a few evening birds) as long as you are between where the birds are coming from and where they are going you should be ok. I don' think there is a given distance to be away from the roost tree in the evenings. Just remember the farther you can get away from their final destination and start working a bird the more options you will have if you have to circle in front before it gets dark.

Ned

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments