November 20, 2017, 02:10:19 PM

Author Topic: Opening weekend  (Read 2086 times)

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Opening weekend
« on: May 23, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Well I ended up sleeping in yesterday, opening day. Man that felt good.
 I had to help the breadwinner get up and off to work this morning. She had to leave at 0500. Iwas already up, so might as well get out.
 When I left the house, I noticed there were no squirrels playing in the yards, is this an omen ?
 First place I went I had song birds everywhere but nothing bigger moving and heard nothing else as well. Access to the area I wanted to get at was flooded out. After a couple hours I decided to move on.
 I found a wide spot in the road just down the highway from where I started, And slipped back into the woods. I heard something to my left and thought I had a yote sliding in on me. So I gave it a distress call, then I spotted the squirrel. About 25 yds and splat he hit the ground. A nice young gray buck.
 I tried one more place and saw nothing. Ran into a couple of other guys, who were having about the same luck.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Re: Opening weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
i dont like you mo you get to hunt way before i do.  :'(  :twisted: glad you were able to get out though
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
 :sad:  to bad ya dont have a squirrel dog
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:09 PM »
I hear that, but a couple times a year just ain't fair to the dog and as long as my multiple employment situation is the way it is, I don't need to be late to work cuz I'm chaseing a mutt that ain't ready to quit.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
:sad:  to bad ya dont have a squirrel dog

Tell it Plott !!   O0
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »
Actually I meant to mention this. Aside from the area haveing a ban on firearms firing a single projectile (shotgun only) I noticed signs everywhere stateing dogs must be on leash. There is some sort of exception to the firearm rule for furbears when treed with dogs. Now how the heck do you do that with leashes on ?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
I would think it's OK to hunt there without a leashed dog, considering it's a treeing dog.
At least you got out there and nailed one, MO! You lucky folks have an early season!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »
Actually I meant to mention this. Aside from the area haveing a ban on firearms firing a single projectile (shotgun only) I noticed signs everywhere stateing dogs must be on leash. There is some sort of exception to the firearm rule for furbears when treed with dogs. Now how the heck do you do that with leashes on ?
Hey it Missouri and their laws are all backwards too. They do it to trip you up and they can bust you. Its like Kansas, they post in their walk-in book for land that isnt walk-in and you can get and fine for truspassing just by following their outlines! :knuppel2 :knuppel2
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
I'm glad you said something Mo.  I had just about forgotten about our spring season.  It runs June 5 - 18.  I think I'll head out to the WMA that's close to me and do some walking around with the pup.  O0  Don't expect he'll be treeing anything but any time spent in the woods with him will be good.  :wink: :)

As for the leash law, a lot of places have exemptions for hunting dogs.  Any non-hunting dogs have to be on a leash, but if you're using a dog in the pursuit of a game animal (and it's legal), then they don't have to be on a leash.  Still, check your regulations to see if any kind of exemption like this exists.

Here in KY, coon & squirrel dogs don't have to be on a leash during open season, but if you're using a dog to trail a wounded deer, the dog has to be on a leash.  This was put in so that people couldn't run deer with dogs and then say that they were trailing a wounded one.  :roll:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
It looks to me like your KY laws make pretty good sense, BC. Several public places where I hunt here in Iowa have nitwits running non hunting dogs while they hike. Their mutts have messed up my hunting numerous times.   :tickedoff

I need to check our state laws pertaining to free running dogs. When I see dogs chasing deer, the dogs get cured of that bad habit.  :knuppel2
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments