November 18, 2017, 01:24:37 AM

Author Topic: subsonics for squirrels  (Read 829 times)

Offline Sniper81

• Rookie Club Member
subsonics for squirrels
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »
i have a winchester wildcat varmint model was wondering if i could shoot subsonics through it, it has a target chamber, and also what brand works they best

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: subsonics for squirrels
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
i have a winchester wildcat varmint model was wondering if i could shoot subsonics through it, it has a target chamber, and also what brand works they best
I don't know for sure, Sniper. You will just have to run them and some other fodder through it to see what works best.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
Since it's a bolt action, you shouldn't have any trouble running the subsonic rounds through it. O0  If it were a semi-auto, there may not be enough pressure to cycle the action with the subsonics.

With that being said though, you need to get several different kinds and try them to see what shoots the best out of the rifle.  Rimfire rifles are notorious about only liking a certain type of ammo.  >:(  There's several different types of subsonics available.  Get several and try it out.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
well you may want to try the cci cb longs or shorts.    

I've hunted many a squirrel with a pellet rifle that only did 17 foot pounds of energy, but those cci subbies do a little over 30.   They aren't much louder than a capgun,   if you just smack a table with your hand thats how loud they are.  When the bullet hits something, its a lot louder than the report.   

CCI has the most reliable ammo for rimfires far as i know.   My only rimfire is a .22 revolver so the subsonics should be much quieter out of a rifle. keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:21:50 PM by ray40cal »
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Facebook Comments