November 18, 2017, 01:24:24 AM

Poll

Should all the states have a Dove Season?

Yes
9 (69.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: December 26, 2004, 07:25:56 PM

Author Topic: Dove Hunting  (Read 3064 times)

Squirrelhunter91

Re: Dove hunting in NY
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 09:08:18 AM »
Quote from: shadow
Where do you go in NY (squirrelhunter91)where there is any signifcant population of doves ? I live in extreme western NY and never see more than 4 at any given time at our feeder. Not to say there aren't any, but where ? I was stationed in the military in Oklahoma in the late 80s and couldn't believe the size of some of the flocks. I once went to a cook out down there where a guy had cooked  up a couple a dozen or so doves he shot in his grain field. They didn't tatse bad, that I remember. Like I said  though, the population down there was alot better than here.

I am down in the Southern Zone. I go to Sullivan, Schoharie, Rockland, Westchester and anywhere else where we have acess to land. At my feeder in Rockland, there must be 40-50 doves a day. Usually one or two land, then they start cooing and attract more, then they start cooing and then the process goes on and on until the squirrel comes. He usually scares them away. But there is the occasional dove that will stand up to the squirrel, only to get scratched up by the bushytail.

Watch, I'll get some pics of all the doves. They will be here shortly for the morning feeding.

travo

Dove Hunting
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 11:53:54 AM »
man, hurry up and post them pics. september 1 is kinda my hunting season (opener) dove season starts here in south dakota, and i am always at a little farm pond outside of town, and the doves are thick! it is not high crossing shots like you hear about, or 3 doves to a box of shells. i sit on the pond bank behind some old farm machinery, and whackem when they come out of the cornfield. easy, incoming shots. i get about 10 birds a night for the 1st few nights, then it drops off. cant wait to see the pics.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
Dove Hunting
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 09:07:13 PM »
Sept.1st I'm visiting you Travo,We have very few places to hunt dove in PA,but I'm hunting your land opening day!!! :D
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Squirrelhunter91

Dove Hunting
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 10:27:29 PM »
Quote from: travo
man, hurry up and post them pics. september 1 is kinda my hunting season (opener) dove season starts here in south dakota, and i am always at a little farm pond outside of town, and the doves are thick! it is not high crossing shots like you hear about, or 3 doves to a box of shells. i sit on the pond bank behind some old farm machinery, and whackem when they come out of the cornfield. easy, incoming shots. i get about 10 birds a night for the 1st few nights, then it drops off. cant wait to see the pics.

The doves ain't gonna be dead..... They didn't come this morning. They must have known that it was going to snow. :evil:  :x

travo

Dove Hunting
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 06:18:09 PM »
come on out man, the dove hunting is in your face!

Facebook Comments