November 21, 2017, 02:17:09 PM

Author Topic: Boat - VS- Rock= jetboat story  (Read 814 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Boat - VS- Rock= jetboat story
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

:D :uglystupid2 :crazy2
A bunch of Buds did a run this weekend and one didn't make it back------------With there boat. Every year for past several a bunch of us Jet guys here do a run from the CMR- http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=31359 Up the Missouri river through the wild and scenic Missouri river monument to The town of Fort Benton then some of us go on up to the first of 5 power dams then back down a total of 400 miles on the river. I was unable to do it this year but 16 other boats did even one Hewes ( river runner).The water was WAY higher than the past runs. 5000 FPS has been the norm this year it was 20,000 FPS.That and the wind put the hurt on every ones gas the first 149 miles there is NOTHING but wilderness. When we get to Fort Benton we have gas and fuel delivered to the boat ramp in a bulk gas truck and fill up on the water. In years past 60 to 80 gallons was average, this year The smallest boat ,the 19.5 river runner Hewes, took 85 gallons. The bigger ones too closer to 100 gallons. At that only 2 ran our and had to borrow gas. Any way after the gas up and a fast lunch from the "Tasty Freeze" we split up, some start back and some head up to the dam. Up to this point the old paddle wheel steamers could travel and would supply the rest of the west with life sustaining supply's. The river changes from a mud and gravel bottom to rocks,ROCKS and HUGE ROCKS, big sharp shelves across the river ext.. did I say Rocks. Only the brave and stupid run this part of the river ( My home part of the river). Up some of us go another 50 miles round trip . There is a Ferry that uses cables to drag it back and forth sits on the bank this year till the water goes down the cables are still across the river. The bigger boats have to lift the grease heavy cables over the boat as they slip under the up some more. Some 3 foot standing waves then some 4 foot waves and at last a 5 foot water fall. In high water like this year we can go up the falls, if you gonads will allow it.Long story short it is a very technical run one little slip and WHAM you slam in to a rock and instantly your boat turns side ways and can fill with water in a flash. This is just what happened I think. I was not there and I'm finding it difficult to get the real info.The boat went under every on got out and was brought to Fort Benton all OK I hear. The boat still needs to be rescued  :knuppel2

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Boat - VS- Rock= jetboat story
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »
That sucks D.  :-\  Sounds like ya'll should have put off the run for a little while.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
That sucks D.  :-\  Sounds like ya'll should have put off the run for a little while.

CAN'T
 The monument closes to motor boat use June 15th each year. After that rafts and canoes have full run of the river till September 15th. They get all the nice weather.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:12 AM »
  :shock: I would have second thoughts about that trip! A smart injun knows when to quit while he's ahead.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »
The rest of the story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" From the GF tribune this morning"   :idiot2

A Belgrade man and his son escaped tragedy a week ago when they lost their new jet boat in the "Big Eddy" below Morony Dam.
Mike Stephens and his son, Blake, were part of a group of 16 jet boats that motored up the Missouri River from Fred Robinson Bridge to Fort Benton.
The flotilla makes the trip every several years.
After reaching Fort Benton, the group decided to go up the river to near Morony Dam on June 12.
"They went up over the eddy and Mike Stephens got caught in the eddy and overturned. He and his boy, Blake, were ejected and the boat is submerged," said Maleri Schultz, a water safety officer for Fish, Wildlife & Parks in Great Falls.
Mike Stephens could not be reached for comment Thursday.
"They were not wearing life vests," Schultz said. "They were able to swim free of the wreckage. A couple of the other boats were able to get close enough to pick them up."
The "Big Eddy" is a notorious hydraulic feature of the Missouri that requires extreme skill and knowledge of the area to successfully navigate. It has claimed several lives over the past couple of decades.
It is about a mile below where Belt Creek enters the Missouri River. That river junction also creates a dangerous hydraulic feature.
Schultz said whether any members of the group were in violation of state regulations remains under investigation.
"That section of the river is open but very dangerous, and it takes a very experienced boat operator to navigate that," she said.
Stephens' boat reportedly was a new 23-foot inboard jet boat that was valued at about $78,000. FWP investigators photographed the scene, but Schultz declined to release any of the pictures.
She said that once water flows in the river decrease it is possible to try to salvage the boat.
"With his help, we will look at getting it out, but it is submerged and we are waiting for water levels to go down," she said.
The group of boaters contacted FWP Game Warden Wendy Kamm of Fort Benton before heading up river.
"I said if you go above Widow Coulee, be aware of dangerous rapids that are hard to see," Kamm said. "That was a challenge to them. I can't stop them from going."
The Missouri was flowing at about 22,000 cubic feet per second at the time, which is slightly less than what it flowed at Thursday morning.
Kamm said there were 10 boats that went up river, but five of them stopped before going through the rapids.
"There are rapids with hydraulic rotors and you cannot see them coming down until you are right on tip and they are sucking you under," she said.
"(Stephens) got right above one and by the time he knew it was there, he already was in it. The boat dove in bow first, it twisted him around and flipped the boat," Kamm said.
She said if the boaters did anything wrong, it was not scanning the river on the way up and noting where the hazards were for the trip back down the river. :shock:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »
A dummy and his boat are soon parted. :idiot2  And not wearing life vests!  :idiot2 :crazy2 :uglystupid2 :tickedoff Are they any smarter after the dunking? I really doubt it.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
A dummy and his boat are soon parted. :idiot2  And not wearing life vests!  :idiot2 :crazy2 :uglystupid2 :tickedoff Are they any smarter after the dunking? I really doubt it.

Wasn't meant to be a learning experience,We do this a lot but it is like a lot of things ...If you relax for one second you can bite it!! The No wearing life vests thing is stupid!!! :crazy2

Facebook Comments