October 23, 2017, 03:11:15 PM

Author Topic: Crossbow effect?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline wheelz

• Applied for my club membership...
    • Follow Me Outdoors
Crossbow effect?
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
i wasn't around here last fall when some of the states changed their laws to allow crossbow use by every willie-off-the-pickle-boat during the bow season, so i missed all the discussion.  i still can't believe it happened in texas so quickly.

has anyone heard of any adverse effects or what impact it had on the deer hunting last year?

i'm gone for a week so i'll check back in when i get back.  luv to hear everyone's 2 cents, pros or cons.
"All the greatest accomplishments, at first, seemed impossible."

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: Crossbow effect?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
For archery killed deer in Georgia, it breaks down as follows:

0.49 per hunter w/crossbow
0.51 per hunter w/compound bow
0.46 per hunter w/traditional bow

78.5% of all archery hunters in Georgia use compound bows.

Crossbows were legalized in 2002 for the purpose of bringing more people into hunting and it worked, but it did not raise the overall kill rate by much at all.

It came out to about 3,000 more deer killed out of a statewide heard of 1.3 million and an annual harvest of 300,000+-.

Georgia was the last state in the country to legalize compound bows, and did not do so until 1977-78. I was 17 back then and was a big supporter of getting the law changed to allow compounds.

The same things said by those opposed to legalizing compound bows, were said 24 years later by compound bow people about crossbows, and time has shown that neither compound or crossbow has hurt or negatively affected the deer herd by their being used.

I went back to shooting a recurve more than 10 years ago. I did it because I was losing the interest I had in bow hunting. In my mind, compound bows had become too technical and cost as much or more than a good rifle.

I haven't regretted my decision for a second either, because the whole point of sport hunting is to enjoy the hunt. If it was all about killing, most of us here would have quit long ago.

We have several crossbow shooters here and they swear by their crossbows and I say more power to them, and will back them 100% to make sure they don't lose their right to hunt with their weapon of choice.

Here at Gut Pile, we see ourselves as the "Big Tent Board" That means we don't push our beliefs onto others as to how they should hunt.

To us it's very simple.

If it's legal where you hunt, then we support it.

We realize that it's not the anti's who are our biggest threat, but it will be ourselves who will be the downfall of hunting when we start telling people how to hunt based on our own personal prejudices.

You might want to know that we're also a very pro-dog hunting board too.! :wink: O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »
For archery killed deer in Georgia, it breaks down as follows:

0.49 per hunter w/crossbow
0.51 per hunter w/compound bow
0.46 per hunter w/traditional bow

78.5% of all archery hunters in Georgia use compound bows.

Crossbows were legalized in 2002 for the purpose of bringing more people into hunting and it worked, but it did not raise the overall kill rate by much at all.

It came out to about 3,000 more deer killed out of a statewide heard of 1.3 million and an annual harvest of 300,000+-.

Georgia was the last state in the country to legalize compound bows, and did not do so until 1977-78. I was 17 back then and was a big supporter of getting the law changed to allow compounds.

The same things said by those opposed to legalizing compound bows, were said 24 years later by compound bow people about crossbows, and time has shown that neither compound or crossbow has hurt or negatively affected the deer herd by their being used.

I went back to shooting a recurve more than 10 years ago. I did it because I was losing the interest I had in bow hunting. In my mind, compound bows had become too technical and cost as much or more than a good rifle.

I haven't regretted my decision for a second either, because the whole point of sport hunting is to enjoy the hunt. If it was all about killing, most of us here would have quit long ago.

We have several crossbow shooters here and they swear by their crossbows and I say more power to them, and will back them 100% to make sure they don't lose their right to hunt with their weapon of choice.

Here at Gut Pile, we see ourselves as the "Big Tent Board" That means we don't push our beliefs onto others as to how they should hunt.

To us it's very simple.

If it's legal where you hunt, then we support it.

We realize that it's not the anti's who are our biggest threat, but it will be ourselves who will be the downfall of hunting when we start telling people how to hunt based on our own personal prejudices.

You might want to know that we're also a very pro-dog hunting board too.! :wink: O0

Couldn't have said it better myself Bo.  O0

The primary benefit of crossbows is that they allow the very young and the very old to get into the outdoors and enjoy themselves.  With only roughly 8% of the US population being hunters, we need everyone we can get on our side.  Bohica is right in that the biggest threat to hunting is not the anti-hunters.  It is the elists within our own ranks that try to dictate their beliefs on others.  >:(  Just because someone doesn't do it, doesn't mean that they should be against someone else who chooses to do it that way.

This past year I hunted with a crossbow for the first time and harvested a nice fat doe.  This was the first time that I had been out hunting that early in about 10 years because of shoulder & back problems that prevented me from shooting a "vertical" bow.  The only difference in that doe was that she was in my freezer about 2 weeks earlier than what she would have been if I had shot her with a muzzleloader.  Not to mention I'm going to get to take my little boy with me this year, and not have to worry about him looking like the Pilsbury Dough Boy because of all of the clothes that I would normally have to put on him because of the cold weather.

As Bohica said, as long as it's legal in someone's area, we don't have a problem with it on here.  Some people don't like that and choose to go elsewhere, where they can continue to bad-mouth particular people and/or weapons.  If that's their cup of tea, then so be it.  But it just doesn't happen on here.  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 Well said, guys! Crossbows are great, even though I don't own one.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
In KY:

Archery = 12.91% (14,666 deer)
Firearm = 71.63% (81,363 deer)
Muzzleloader = 14.23% (16,160 deer)
Crossbow = 1.23% (1,396 deer)
Total = 113,585 deer

Archery season - 9/5/09 - 1/18/10
Crossbow - 10/1/09 - 10/18/09, 11/14/09 - 12/31/09
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline wheelz

• Applied for my club membership...
    • Follow Me Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
i had heard that about how the traditional bow shooters had used the same arguments about the compound shooters as the compound shooters do about the crossbow shooters, but fortunately, i'm too young to remember that.

i'm kinda in the same boat on believing that anything that gets more people interested in hunting & the outdoors is a good thing, and that we should be banding together as hunters instead of nit-picking between ourselves. 

in 2004 i was involved in the first attempts to get all the states to allow disabled hunters crossbow use during the archery season according to the ADA, which seemed like a no brainer to me.  we got the laws changed, but with a lot of resistance.  now suddenly 6 years later they're lettin' everyone use them.

being a crossbow shooter for over 15 years, i can honestly tell you that it in NO WAY increases your chances of killing a big buck.  it doesn't shoot any better than the compound bow, ballistic/energy-wise, and the arrow is half as long.  if i had a choice, i'd shoot a compound any day of the week.  it has way more advantages over the compound.  personally, i wouldn't feel good about taking a shot past 40 yds, and that's only if the animal isn't looking at me.

i actually think that it is just a trend and going to be a rude awakening for so many hunters who think all they have to do is aim and shoot.  every other skill involved with bowhunting still applies, and you have to learn them all to be successful w/ any archery weapon, period.

i'm all for someone using a cbow if they can't shoot a compound.  i don't know why anyone would choose one though if they had the choice.  just my opinion.
"All the greatest accomplishments, at first, seemed impossible."

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
I've met several hunters over the years who've moved to Georgia from states that don't allow high powered rifles to deer hunt. More than a few couldn't wait to run out and buy their first high powered centerfire rifle with high magnification scope on it.

They "ASSUMED" that no longer having to rely on a slug gun, that they could shoot from now until Christmas without worry.

Of course they found that the reality didn't match up with the fantasy.

(much like Tnutz's sex life :twisted: :wink:)

Point being; I don't doubt that there are people who feel that by going to a crossbow that it gives them the advantage of being able to shoot a weapon on par with a standard deer rifle.

But...

They will learn in time that such is not the case, and they will have to practice with their crossbow to be effecient and effective.

And considering how expensive some crossbows are it could be a cost abusive proposition.

That means they will either learn to shoot, or somebody else will wind up getting a good deal on a used crossbow.

The economy and life in general have taken it's toll on friends of mine who had to give up hunting because of commitments to family and job; it became too expensive and they sold their guns and archery tackle in order to pay bills and put food on the table.

While I'm sure you miss the opportunity to shoot a compound, be happy in the fact you still get to hunt.

Unfortunately there are others, through no fault of their own, have lost that and may never get the chance again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:15:05 PM by bohica »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments