December 17, 2017, 10:29:02 AM

Author Topic: Got another one  (Read 2023 times)

april

Got another one
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:43:58 PM »
This one was a "boo-boo" :?

To make the story short.....(trust me, this IS short..)

heard a deer coming down the holler beside me....finally saw it, saw it was a very noticeable spike (was maybe 10-15 feet from me..I could'a spat on it), but only saw it through an opening in the brush where I had maybe a 5 second shot. And needless to say, when I got the gun up, all I had was an arse shot. (With the buttload of birds kicking up leaves, I figured it was the birds cause I'd been hearing it for about 15 minutes...so, had put my my gun back in my lap.)
Anyhow...it went on down to a crossing they take, and I didn't hear it any more. (leaves were real dry). About 2 minutes later, I spotted movement at that crossing, knew it was a deer cause could make out it's shape..but couldn't dream of a shot cause it was hidden by an embankment below me. Thought this was that spike.
So, I had the gun up, and didn't even bother looking for horns. To me...it HAD to be that spike, cause it came out mere minutes at the same place I heard him stop at.
anyhow....I only had a few seconds to line up and take a shot when it was to come at an opening. So, I waited...it came, I lined the gun on it..and shot it.
Fell in it's tracks.
Walked over to it...and first thing I saw was it's #$#@..was a danged ol slick head doe.

All I can figure is that she was bedded down right there at that embankment. And the spike must've jumped her up. found where he went after the hunt..saw his tracks going into a sandbedded area..that's why I stopped hearing him.

It just made me sick. But, was my eff up..but, hey, it put meat in the freezer.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Got another one
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 05:19:15 PM »
Meat in the freezer....what else do ya need?  :twisted:

Good job Miss April!!!  One day they'll learn not to send out their scouts!!  :wink:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Got another one
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 05:54:18 PM »
Congrats!  Should make some really good eating.  You can't eat the rack, so it's no big loss.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

Got another one
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:00:25 PM »
Yeah, she'll be good eating...she's still a young doe.

I just can't believe I got so trigger happy. :?  :roll:

Thanks guys.... :wink:

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Got another one
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 08:15:51 PM »
Happens to all of us April. Years ago I caught a quick glimpse of a buck entering a thicket. I scoped out the thicket relentlessly until I finally saw his chest through a small opening. At the shot I saw the same buck leave the brush and dissapear across the ridge. I was thinking I missed, but then I heard a deer flopping around in the thicket. My heart sank, It wasn't a doe day either. I breathed a hugh sigh or relief when I finally went to him and saw the spikes, maybe 2 inches long. Oh well, he was some good eatin' 8)
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

april

Got another one
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 01:39:05 PM »
Man...

Sometimes, there's only that one quick shot......., it happens, I guess, like you said.

I'm glad yours turned out to have horns...It gives ya a quick stab in the chest..lol....to see that your intended deer ain't the one you shot.  Kinda scary...but, a little bit of a rush too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Got another one
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »
You still connected with some meat, April. You did good, and as well as you could, under the circumstances. I have checked late season deer with their antlers almost dropped off, and nice bucks shot that had already shed their antlers. We had a hunter shoot a deer that dropped his antlers when he hit the ground, a couple of weeks ago. The deer was in poor shape, with some disgusting infected wounds that were inflicted before gun season. He let it stay right there, and called us to where the deer was.  We told him to leave it for the coyotes, and go ahead and fill his tag with another deer. He did, and killed a good 13 pointer.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

april

Got another one
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanky John.

That spike I saw got shot this morning :D  My gramps shot the one and the same.... had the same broken antler. So, that was pretty kewl.

There's one there....one we wouldn't normally see, but is crazy with the "rut fever". He's about as big as a horse..lol  (okay, I'm exagerating, but, you get the point). If I don't see him....I'll take a pic of his tracks next time I'm out to show ya'll how mammoth this bugger is.  But, if I see him...I'll show ya the body...lol  :twisted: At any rate...I've never seen tracks as big as this here in my whole life.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Got another one
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 08:25:19 PM »
Git 'em, April! =D>
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

Got another one
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »
got bread,,,,will travel!

Facebook Comments