October 18, 2017, 05:07:58 AM

Author Topic: help tranning my dog  (Read 2689 times)

Offline zach

help tranning my dog
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »
iv got a cane corso (italan mastif)ahes a couple years old and i want to trane her for treeing tree rats! but i dont know the best way to go about it. i traned her to attack any one that dont need to be in the yard. or just people i dont like (people next door :))shes a good smart dog 145 pounds of temper!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:46:02 PM by Big58cal »
nothing like being outdoors and being you own boss!!

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: help tranning my dog
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
Well if she is active you can. take a surril and tease her with it. O0 Then drag it around to get her chasing it. But other than that you need to go to the dog guru's for that! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
I personally don't think that your dog really could be taught to tree anything, at least not proficiently.  Treeing, Pointing, and tracking are things that come mostly from genetics.  You could probably to a degree, get your dog to chase things into the trees, but i don't think you would get the desired outcome.

If you are wanting to venture into this, i would start by getting a dead critters and draging it around, then get your pup all worked up about the smell and get him started following the scent of the dead animal around.  after the dog is smellin it up and loving it, it's time to start dragging it around and hiding it.  if you can get him doing that, you ought to have a good start.  
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »
Why waste yer time  kinda hard to use a hammer to do a screwdrivers job
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
ok thanks yall and plottdog i like useing the french man screwdriver or hammer lol
nothing like being outdoors and being you own boss!!

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
Why waste yer time  kinda hard to use a hammer to do a screwdrivers job

That is well said, Plot! 

on the otherside of the coin though, a local here has a pack of hounds for treeing cats and bears and his sons lab has actually joined the gang, he runs and beys louder than any of the blue ticks... 
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
What the others have said is basically true.  It's rare for a dog to "tree" if it hasn't been bred to do it.  BUT, it's not unheard of.  Get a squirrel hide and drag it around to see if the dog shows any interest in it.  If the dog can trail the thing with it's nose, then you may be able to go further in the training.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »
Never said it cant be done hell i got a pit that will flush pheasents but his retrieve is pretty hard on the birds. I just highly doubt that it would ever tree rats cause they just aint got the nose to locate them
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Never said it cant be done hell i got a pit that will flush pheasents but his retrieve is pretty hard on the birds. I just highly doubt that it would ever tree rats cause they just aint got the nose to locate them
  O0 Well said, plott.

Yep, a squirrel dog has to have some bred into the dog.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »
If the dog is going to tree, doing it be sight is your best option.

Facebook Comments