October 24, 2017, 01:51:48 AM

Author Topic: traditional bowers....need some help  (Read 1137 times)

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
traditional bowers....need some help
« on: January 02, 2005, 08:52:19 PM »
hey, i'm just starting my winter project of making my first recurve and need some help.  I live in NW MN and want to make if out of wood that is native to this area.  I think i've got a good handle on everything, but was wondering would an oak riser be worth a darn?? i mean how much does the riser actually flex?  My plans are to use burr oak for the riser and ash for the limbs.......would it be worth while??
Proud Democrat

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:37:29 PM »
Risers do flex a little, how much though, I don't know.  You could try it and see what comes of it.  At best, you've got a really good looking bow.  At worst, you'll have to make another riser.  I doubt on a recurve bow that the riser will flex enough to matter though.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline john

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 01:15:23 PM »
i'm about finished with a red oak long bow. oak is finewood for your use. howmuch a riser flexes is up tothe design,an english longbow flexes threw the handle.others don't flex at all.  take a look at a website called bowyersden,,,,http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi
this is the addy,but be warned,,its gonna hook ya.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:08:02 AM »
Osage orange ("hedgeball") is really good. My try with ash was a bust. Lemon wood is good, but not native to your area, I imagine. Years ago, many long bows were made of lemonwood. Nowdays, there are a lot of folks using Osage orange.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

Re: traditional bowers....need some help
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 09:06:33 AM »
so how is it comming? have you gotten anywhere with the bow?

Facebook Comments