October 19, 2017, 03:24:47 AM

Author Topic: It's too freaking HOT to deer hunt!!!  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
It's too freaking HOT to deer hunt!!!
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
Yesterday (9/4/10) our bow season opened.  The high was in the mid 70's (very unusual) and I didn't go.  >:(  Went out this afternoon though, with the high supposed to be about 85.  It's still too freaking hot to hunt!!!  >:(

Got up in the woods a little after 4:00 this afternoon.  I had on a short sleeve shirt and bluejeans walking in (as well as my backpack and crossbow).  Walking up to the ridge to my blind, I kept having to wipe the sweat off my head.  Got up to the blind, and in between putting a thin pair of camo over my jeans, I kept having to wipe sweat.  >:(  Changed shirts, because the first one was soaked, and put a leafy mesh bug-proof jacket on, my head net, gloves, and my cap.  I sat up there for the rest of the afternoon with the ThermaCell running to keep the 'skeeters at bay, and sweating the whole time, even though I wasn't hardly moving a muscle.  >:(  That ain't fun!  :tickedoff

And then to beat all, all I saw was 1 old barren doe!  I would have popped her, but she had my number.  ;D  She came up there to the bench around 6:40 this afternoon, but just as she was coming in, she looked dead at me and started bobbing her head.  :roll:  Guess I'm just going to have to say the heck with the natural vegetation blind and put up some camo netting around the spot.

Swapped out the memory cards in the camera before I left.  I guess I'm going to have to get another camera.  Last winter, this one started snapping pictures at night, but without the flash.  Figured it may have been where it was so cold, so I figured I'd give it another shot.  From around 490 pictures on the camera, I had to delete 241 because they were totally black.  >:(

Below are a couple of pictures from the camera.  The first one is one of the rough-looking old barren doe that came in this afternoon.  The other one is of a couple of small bucks that I got a few pictures of.  Notice the date and time on the picture with the bucks.  >:( >:(  Not that I really want to shoot a 1.5 year old buck, but considering that he's still in velvet, he would have been mine this morning had I been up there!  >:(

So anyway, after sweating my butt off this afternoon, I've come to the conclusion that it's just too freaking hot to deer hunt right now.  Figure I'll give it a couple of weeks and try it again if the weather is a little cooler.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: It's too freaking HOT to deer hunt!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
Sure is tough hunting during hot weather. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort.  :sad: You gave it a good try, BC.  O0

I'm holding off squirrel hunting until probably next weekend, due to the weather.
Our season opened Saturday but it wasn't anything near ideal weather. I may have to try out my new ThermaCell. The bugs are still bad here in SE Iowa.
The doe in your pictures is just asking for it, BC.  :knuppel2 :buck2  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
It's still pretty warm here too.  :'( :sad:

The dove opener wasn't too bad with the cloud cover and a fair breeze blowing.

At leat you're seeing some though, and that's always a good sign. If you can get out right before the barometer drops, one of them velvet bucks will be going home with you! O0 O0 O0

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Its actually been kinda "cool" in Texas, As in it was 50-60 degrees in the morning labor day weekend. Still, its still way too hot. I'm looking to get me another pig for the freezer, but until the temp gets below 40 in the mornings regularly, I'm not even going to try. The mesquite trees are already browning a bit, so supposedly that means that this winter is going to be nice and cold. Those mesquites, they tell the seasons, ya know.
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
Its actually been kinda "cool" in Texas, As in it was 50-60 degrees in the morning labor day weekend. Still, its still way too hot. I'm looking to get me another pig for the freezer, but until the temp gets below 40 in the mornings regularly, I'm not even going to try. The mesquite trees are already browning a bit, so supposedly that means that this winter is going to be nice and cold. Those mesquites, they tell the seasons, ya know.
It's sure nice that Texas is cooling down.  O0

They forcast a mild winter for the Midwest, but I bet we have lots of snow. Our weather is finally cooling here in SE Iowa. It's been down in the 40's and 50's some nights.  :) O0

I've been working quite a bit of overtime at work. It has cut down on my shop time and hasn't allowed for any hunting. Our squirrel season opened the 4th.
The trees are turning already! Leaves are dropping!   :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline 2Nutz

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
It is too hot BC but you always have to be out there on opening day! O0
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »
***Yesterday (9/4/10) our bow season opened.  The high was in the mid 70's (very unusual) and I didn't go.  Angry  Went out this afternoon though, with the high supposed to be about 85.***
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That was the temp here at 6:30 this morning when I got up for work! Opening day for Bow is a week from Sat.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
That was the temp here at 6:30 this morning when I got up for work! Opening day for Bow is a week from Sat.

Last weekend was a fluke.  We had lows down into the 40's & 50's.  :shock:  That'll just about make a feller freeze to death after he's used to a summer of 90+ every day!

Fear not though J-Bucks!  :wink:  Our temps are getting back to where they normally are this time of year..........  Lows in the mid 70's, highs of 90+.  >:(

Last year on Oct. 1st, in the morning it wasn't too bad.  Lows were only supposed to get down into the 50's, so I had to dress the deer out and couldn't leave it hang.  Still, the temps weren't too bad.  Sunday though, it was just miserable up there.  Think it'll be a few more weeks before I get out there again.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
I'm ending up working 6 days this week. I worked the holiday and put in for the Friday and Saturday overtime, not figuring I would get both days of the overtime. Guess whut! I got both.  :shock:

I have to finish my sidewalk repairs and get in some shop time, so Sunday is axed for hunting.   Oh well, there is always the weekend following this one  that is coming up.

My usual shift is 10 hours Monday-Thursday. I have my work week ending with three day weekends unless we go on elevated alert. When 9/11 happened, we went straight into 12/7 at work. That equated to no hunting or fishing during the whole hunting season.  :shock: :tickedoff

Facebook Comments