November 20, 2017, 12:25:26 PM

Author Topic: Dove Opener was OK.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Dove Opener was OK.
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
Dragged myself down to our field on Saturday and after some early heartburn, it turned out to be a pretty decent shoot.

I thought all the drama about whether we were going to shoot this field or another was behind us. I was wrong.

The guys who'd bitc*ed and moaned about wanting to find and shoot another field showed up. But, 2 guys who were supposed to be there didn't show up.

To make matters worse they never paid the money they'd promised to our guy who'd set the shoot up this year. We'd already come to an aggreement with the field owner and the money was supposed to have been paid in mid-August and I ASSUMED everybody had done the right thing.

After getting there I find out that these 2 guys had said they were going to send the money and they never did, so 3 other guys picked up the slack and paid the difference, so at that point I took off to find an ATM so I could help pay these guys back for the extra they had to dish out.

They tried contacting the 2 no-shows, but they never answered their cell phones. It seemed more than a little strange that these 2 guys would both be away from their phones at the exact same time. I kept my mouth shut, but I thought something was rotten.

Opening day here is 12 noon and the rest of the season is 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Around 2:30 an SUV pulls up and 3 men get out along with 2 of their sons and ask if we have any openings in the field? They had paid to go to a field about 10 miles down the road and said it was too crowded and they saw guys drinking beer while shooting.

We talked about 10 minutes and it didn't take long to see that these guys knew what they were doing and had their act together and their sons were really well behaved and polite.

So I told them if they would pay the $75.00 per adult; the kids hunt for free; sign the liabilty waivers, they could hunt with us. Each man plopped down an $100.00 bill and said keep the change.

The temperature stayed in the low 80's and there was a breeze and even some cloud cover which caused the birds to fly pretty much all day. Around 6pm to dark it really got good and everybody had at least a chance to limit out.

The limit was 15 and I got 13 after shooting a semi tractor trailer load full of shells.

We listened to football games on the radio and ate some b-b-q and then grilled the dove breasts that evening and had a reall good time. Even made some new friends who I think will be hunting with us in the future.

We only shoot this field on opening day, Labor day and the second Saturday and that's it. I'm working Labor day and will be heading to my deer club on Saturday for the bow opener, so hopefully this will be a good omen, but I still haven't scouted worth a flip.

Found out today that our 2 wayward "friends" who never showed up had gone and shot somewhere else and paid more and shot less than we did. I hope they don't think they'll be hunting with us next year, cause it ain't happening.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • Give me Liberty or Give me Death! - Patrick Henry
Re: Dove Opener was OK.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
I'm happy that you got a good amount of dove and made new friends. I'll tell you what, the only part I hate about dove season here is the land squabbles and the whole drinking and shooting thing. Lucky that morning after opening day, guess who got 20 acre field all to himself because he was the only soul within 100 miles without a hangover??? This kid.  8) 
Tread Lightly, and Carry a Big Stick

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:06 AM »
I'm sure glad you folks got some shooting and had a good time! Bo, that worked out pretty good and you got rid of the two jerks.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
It looks like there ALWAYS has to be DRAMA! :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2 :knuppel2

I found out today that our two friends who didn't show up on opening day, came down to the field this Saturday.

Seems they wanted to shoot.

Here's the deal. Last year only one guy and his son and a friend hunted that second Saturday. It appears that the two numbnuts thought it would be the same this year and they could bluff their way onto the field.

Problem was that we had 7 people on the field this Saturday including one of the guys who had to pay for these two not sending in their money.

First they try and bs their way in by showing LAST years hunt card/stickers. That failed. Then they said since they were some of the ORIGINAL hunters in our group and could come and go as they pleased, and they had a RIGHT to hunt this field even though they had NOT signed the required liability waiver. 

That was a no go too.

One of our group tried playing peace maker and said if they paid to hunt, then they could stay. They said since it was the last hunt, they shouldn't have to pay.

At this point they were fixxing to have the game warden called on their a$$ and they left.

They better not call me looking for sympathy.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING!  O0 :twisted:

Glad the numb-nuts didn't get to hunt!  You snooze, you loose!  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING!  O0 :twisted:

Glad the numb-nuts didn't get to hunt!  You snooze, you loose!  O0
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Yeah on that! The two shmucks had no intention on paying their fair share.  :knuppel2 
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments