October 22, 2017, 02:34:33 AM

Author Topic: Missouri: Public can weigh in on elk restoration  (Read 1614 times)

Offline 2Nutz

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Missouri: Public can weigh in on elk restoration
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
Nope.  It's the opposite here.  There's some people that have been drawn 4-5 times, and for bull permits each time.  :tickedoff  As I said, corrupt!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
Yep on that!
Still killen and grillen!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
Nope.  It's the opposite here.  There's some people that have been drawn 4-5 times, and for bull permits each time.  :tickedoff  As I said, corrupt!  :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff
No doubt something stinks there!  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
After they were able to reintroduce elk into the Smoky Mountain National Park, there was talk about doing the same thing here in north Georgia. I guess in early times there were elk and even bison in the extreme northern part of the state.

It's gone back and forth ever since with it being on hold as of this minute, but the way things are done here, who can say what will happen two minutes from now.

I heard one biologist say it would be a mistake for all the reasons given elsewhere, but he said something I hadn't thought about, and that was that the elk and bison that were found here before the white man, were a different subspecies and that they are now extinct. The elk they would be bringing back here would be of a different type that would not do well this far east and south.

Is that true? I don't know.

IMHO there's plenty of wilderness up there that falls into the Chattahoochee National Forest. They could spread out and have a viable population before long. Can you imagine what kind of damage an elk would do to your car if you hit one?!!

I'm with BC though, I'd rather go out west or go to a preserve rather than to put up with whatever hoops the state would make you jump through to get a permit. Seeing how they've done other things here, I bet it would be a first class cluster ****! :idiot2 :idiot2 :tickedoff :tickedoff
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
Yep, you nailed it Bo.  O0  The elk and bison were a different subspecies.  The elk were wood elk, which were smaller than the Rocky Mountain elk they've got stocked here.  The wood elk subspecies is extinct.  The bison were wood bison (I know, not very creative with their naming).  Again a different subspecies than what is found out west.  But the wood bison isn't extinct.  Everyone thought that they were, but the found an isolated population of them up in the north east I believe.  Somewhere up in Canada or an island or something.

They get by with reintroducing a "native" species because it is still the same "species".  But it's a different "subspecies".  :roll: >:(  The reason that the elk that are reintroduced have difficulties in the Eastern part of the U.S. is because of what's called a brain worm.  It's some kind of little worm that infects the brains of the critters around here.  The deer and elk that were native to the area evolved with the worm and are immune to it.  Out west though, they don't have the worm, so when critters are brought in that aren't used to it, it kills them.

Elk need a lot a space to roam.  In the eastern part of KY there isn't much agriculture, so that's why KY is keeping them restricted to that area.  Plus with the strip mined land and the mountains, the habitat is similar to what they came from out west.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Well said, BC!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments