November 17, 2017, 12:11:17 PM

Author Topic: There is always an issue hunting with a boat  (Read 1392 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
There is always an issue hunting with a boat
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
There is always an issue hunting with a boat! This year so far sheep hunting .My daughter-in -law got a ewe tag in our Missouri river brakes.
 The first two days She hunted with only her hubby,Wednesday and most of Thursday. They hunted from land on the power plant road and the Stafford ferry road. They spotted a band of sheep but decided to not hunt on them as they were about three miles away and there was TWO "Grand Canyons" between her and the sheep. They thought we could get on them easer with the boat coming in from PN bridge. As it turned out the ramp is under construction and can't be used. It's only about 15 miles from the bridge to where they saw the sheep. Thursday after work I went to join them, I got out to there trailer at 7:00 pm . It started to storm about 8:30 and when we got up at 5:30 in the morning there was snow on the windshield of my Subberin. It proceeded to snow all day Friday by 3:00 that afternoon the roads were impassable and we had to give up hunting that day ,for sheep. We did see a few RAMS but not a ewe around. We went in to Lewistown and the daughter-in-law, rested in the trailer till my son and I got back from crystal lake bear hunting at dark, no bears there either. Saturday the only way to hunt was from the boat and we had to go to Fred Robinson bridge to launch that made it 20 miles to the Start of her area. When ever you hunt from a boat there is always issues,can't see,can't land,moss in the pump ext... We ran back up the were we may find the band of sheep they saw on Thursday and floated very slowly back down scoping. Nowhere in sight. We did find a small band up on an out cropping. We decided to put on a hunt. Out there all the big cliffs are surrounded by Bentonnite/shonkennite ( Montana gumbo )and in two days of snow there slick. Two hours and 750 feet up we made it to the top and started the hunt we did slip right up on them but out luck persisted, all five were RAMS one of which would rival a state record. It's snowing and wind near hurricane force and it took as long to get down as up. we scraped off as much mud as we could and got back in to the boat to drift hunt some more. We tried to stay on our same "Tracks' but in the 40 mph wind we would blow out or in and two times we got stuck on gravel in mid river and had to get out and push. We just got off the last one and we sucked up a bunch of moss or a stick and we lost most of our power. The storm was getting worse so we tried to head home. Finally we got up on plain and could get over the gravel but we where blasting through 3' waves for 38 miles. We didn't back off for fear of getting grounded again ,man what a ride. We got back with 3 gallons of gas left and put her on the trailer. There was still 10 pounds of moss hanging off the intake it's a surprise we made it back at all. I think an sheep ram or ewe is a Tuff hunt !!!There going to try again next weekend.
 it looks like I didn't get many pics of the brakes.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: There is always an issue hunting with a boat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
That was one tough hunt, D45! Very nice pics, D.  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
Kudos to you guys getting out there in that mess.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
sweet dude, props for going out in the elements.
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Facebook Comments