November 23, 2017, 07:21:23 PM

Author Topic: Another Armed Walk In The Woods  (Read 585 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Another Armed Walk In The Woods
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
Took the boy & dog both out yesterday down to the farm for another armed walk in the woods.  ;D  Had to hike up to the top of the ridge and put out No Trespassing signs along the border with the WMA.  The yellow paint that is supposed to be on the trees around the boundary was a joke!  >:(  There might have been a tree marked every 30 yards, if that.  There's not going to be any missing the No Trespassing signs though!  ;D O0  I plastered those buggers about every 10 yards or so.

There's one heck of a red oak acorn crop this year down there.  :shock:  Going up to the ridge, all 3 of us were having a hard time keeping our footing because of standing on acorns.  :shock: :shock:

After we got the signs up on the ridge, we dropped back down off the ridge to head back to the truck.  We had had a pretty bad ice storm a couple of years ago and lost several trees and tops of others.  Where that opened the canopy up, it allowed all kinds of new growth to come up.  My hands and arms are a mess of scratches & scrapes from all of the saw & blackberry briers, and my pants have blood stains all over them were the stuff drew blood on my legs.  The boy is tore up almost as bad as I am.  Poor little Mongo was a mass of scratches & scrapes too.  ;D

From the time we left to the truck, to the time we got back to the truck, the GPS showed that we'd covered 2.14 miles.  For what it's worth, below is picture of the "track" from the GPS.

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Another Armed Walk In The Woods
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
Bummer on the briars, BC! At least you got out with the boy and pup.  O0

I got out yesterday and heard a lot of .22 shooting in the timber, so I detoured a long way around.
It started raining pretty hard by the time I killed two nice fox squirrels. It decided to rain pretty hard and would't let up, so the mile or so walk back to the truck was pretty soggy and slippery.

My gear is pretty well dried out and the pistol and rifle is getting oiled this morning and put away for the next outing.

My brother Charlie from CA/AZ just called from about 30 miles away at a campground where he has his 5th wheel camper and truck parked. We plan on doing some squirrel hunting this week if I can get some time off from work.

His arrival was unplanned and it kind of throws some kinks in the works as far as actually my getting time off work to hunt. LT needs as much time as possible to arrange time off.  Brother Charlie is retired and has all the time in the world, lucky dawg.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments