December 11, 2017, 10:23:55 AM

Author Topic: Been Invited!!  (Read 11412 times)

Offline mrjimsfc

• Applied for my club membership...
Been Invited!!
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
My kid called up from Florida the other day and invited me out to my first ever Hog Hunt.  When it comes to hunting hogs, I feel like Sergeant Schultz in Stalag 13, "I know nothing....".  My kid doesn't know anything about hog hunting either.  He says he has a friend who will take us out to hunt.  I hope this works out better than some hunts for deer that I've been out on.  Do I need camo or does it make any difference?  Is it better to get a smaller one for eating or do all of them taste the same?  It never gets cold (or even very cool) in Florida (near Miami) so how do I keep the meat from spoiling?  My boy has a Hawaian friend who wants to roast the whole hog on a spit, do I have to skin it first for that?  Is this going to be as much fun as it should be?  So many questions! :crazy2
         'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'  ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Been Invited!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
roasting the whole pig is just that gut it cook it. spoiled meat use ice... thats what i would think,  and hell yes it will be a blast you are doing something with your kid, that you both enjoy!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:07:31 AM »
A smaller one will taste better.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
I lived in Florida and Miami for several years and shot, arrowed and even used knives to kill my share of hogs.

First off you don't need camo, hogs have terrible eyesight. They can hear pretty good though and depending on the weather can smell pretty well too.

I'm guessing you're not using dogs, which means you'll either be stand hunting or still hunting (stalking) Some guys have fancy swamp buggys that ride up like 15 feet above the ground and allow you to see over the very flat landscape. If you're hunting in south Florida expect to get wet and expect to sweat too.

If the person you're hunting with knows the area hopefully he'll put you where the pigs have been feeding or resting(wallows)

To spot and stalk might require some long shots. A flat shooting rifle with a good scope is a plus. Contrary to what you might read, a hog can be taken with any deer caliber and even small caliber rounds. Placement of the shot is all important, much more so than caliber.

Hogs can cover allot of area, but if the food and water are close by they'll usually stay close to it. The south Florida heat, makes them just as tired as it makes humans.

Hogs in south Florida are smaller than the hogs in other parts of the country, partially due to climate and partially due to lack of quality forage. A 200lb pig in south Florida(south of lake Okeechobee) is very rare and even hogs over a 100lbs are not that common. Expect most to be in the 50-100lb range, and the smaller, the better for eatting.

A smaller pig, preferably a sow is best to eat. Meat spoilage can be a problem but if you gut and even quarter the pig early and wrap it in some cheese cloth, it will keep for a few hours until you get it to a good butcher or until you can do it yourself. Try and get it processed as soon as possible regardless.

Shoot me a pm if you need any more info!

Hope this helped a little. O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
wow bo  you sure KNOW your pigs...

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
wow bo  you sure KNOW your pigs...

Well....You know how it is when you're single. Hit the bar, have a few and then they don't look TOO bad......

OH WAIT!? You're talking about hunting!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »
nothin wrong with the motto " I can do fat i can do ugly  i cant do fat and ugly"
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
nothin wrong with the motto " I can do fat i can do ugly  i cant do fat and ugly"

ummm... ummmmm.. all i can say is this is when you know who your true friends really are.. they get you out of there before hand..

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
ummm... ummmmm.. all i can say is this is when you know who your true friends really are.. they get you out of there before hand..
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Unless he doesn't WANT to be rescued.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline mrjimsfc

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
I'm planning on using my Thompson Contender pistol in 7X30 Waters for this hunt.  I shoot pot-guts at 100 yards with it so I suppose I can hit a hog at that distance.  I'm guessing the real challenge is actually finding a hog to shoot at.  I'm hoping that the guy who is guiding this hunt knows where there are a whole bunch of hogs hanging out (is that what's called "Hog Heaven"?). :wink:  I'm getting excited! :D 
         'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'  ~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Comments