November 24, 2017, 10:43:57 PM

Author Topic: My armed walk in the woods  (Read 714 times)

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
My armed walk in the woods
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
Well, BC ain't the only one that can do it. Sunday I took the youngest with me for what I thought was a squirrel hunt. I had checked the weather forecast and it was supposed to be cloudy and cool. Cooler than we seen in a long time. I thought this might have the varmits out and active most of the day. Nobody said anything about rain. I had to work til 10 am, so this seemed like a viable plan. First bad sign, I got home and she had to take a shower because she couldn't do a thing with her hair !! Honey, please.. this ain't a fashion show and you will probably want to shower after we get back. You're just gonna put a hat on that hair anyways. That feel on deft ears.
 Now as we finally get started it starts to drizzle. Not the worst thing, sometimes squirrels will be very active in a slight drizzle, but not this time. Still there can be lessons to teach and learn in and about the situation.
 We finally got to the spot and the parking lot was virtually empty except for a couple cars with bicycle racks on back. First lesson, we have to stay aware of bicyclist and hikers in the area. We see the empty racks on the cars, so we know they are out there.
 This was her first hunt and she has never shot a gun ( little afraid of it) so she is going to carry an unloaded 410. I got a pocket full of shells just in case she decides to try it. Lesson 2 : first rule of firearms safety.. ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. She says yeah dad, you already taught me that. I told her "and they will teach it alot more when you take hunter ed next year, it's that kind of important" !!
 We got back in the woods, and heard one calling. Also heard a few woodpeckers and I tried my best to explain how similar, but different the sounds can be. We tried to sneak in on the one squirrel but I guess we spooked it. We moved pretty quite, but I went to move a sappling slightly aside to avoid the noise of scraping against it and "SNAP", it broke off at ground level. That was the last we heard from that squirrel.
 After that, we saw and heard nothing. Nothing was moving, not even the wind. We walked and sat, walked and sat, I pointed out a few edibles and a few don't even think about its. I pointed out the un-cut acorns, and the cut hickorys and showed her what a shag bark hickory looks like ( the only one I can identify by just looking at the bark), ever watchful of that muzzle,which was never pointed in an unsafe direction that I could catch. All in all she did good. She walked very quitely and avoided any sticks that might crack under foot.
 After a couple hours, I decided we need to try another area completely. As we started to work our way back to the truck, she asked if maybe we should hang it up and try again another day. I agreed. Didn't want to keep her out there beyond her interest point. I think she learned lesson 3: weather can play a huge part in game movement.
 I think this week-end she wants to go fishing, but I think this cooler weather might send them deep and in-active. Still she can learn that weather effects fishing as well as hunting.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: My armed walk in the woods
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
Hey, at least you got out there and with one of the kids.  O0  That's all that matters.  O0 O0 O0

With the weather cooling off, I may try to get out again this weekend, but without the dog this time.  ;D  Hopefully I'll be able to bring in some fresh squirrel meat & hides.  :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Re: My armed walk in the woods
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Hoo-Ah!!

Outstanding Pop!! Way to go! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments