November 20, 2017, 12:32:58 AM

Author Topic: Squirrel traps?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
Squirrel traps?
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »
My in-laws have a cabin up above the brighton ski lodge, nothing to fancy, but the weather was perfect for kickin it up there instead of the valley, so after i got home from the duck hunt we went up. So this kind of boredom got me kicked out of camp bartlett and Aspen ridge when i was a boy scout, both years for killing a squirel, but the shenanigans must continue, so i was teaching my son the art of squirel trapping, i guess you could say it was for survival reasons that i devised these, but we all know it's just funny to see a snared squirel jump around till it can't move anymore. i wish i had success pics to show, but the light was way to dim by the time i was successful to aquire one. next time i guess.

This was the first attempt, basically you can't see it but to the right of the trap is a sapling that is bent over and pulling on some fishing line that was probably pulling at around 8-12 lbs give or take. The first attempt was made with just some peanut butter and white bread on the bait stick, the squirrel seems to be keen to my plan and licked the bait stick clean with out dislodging the notch, so i thought a hardier bait would do the trick, i covered a Peachy-O in peanut butter and pushed it all the way up the bait stick then cemented with more PB. the little Bas***d got this off too.

so next try i employed the help of a lever plank, it appeared as though the squirrel was smart enough to remove the PB and Peachy-O but attempted from the side because the trap sprung but nothing snared. last attempt i used some pine cones to create a funnel that put the squirrel head righ in the snare, the sun was nearly gone by the time i completed this, a couple hours later my brother inlaw joined us and he said there was a squirl snagged on fishing lineoutside i ran out to see the little monster with his head captured in the snare, SUCCESS.

Thought i would share a small plan on how to make the trap, they are awesome easy and fun, and you can do a lot to make them better, this was just for fun! 

I have a couple different traps that work well, one involves a hollow log and decapitation!
Only dead fish swim with the current!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Squirrel traps?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
Have you seen the one with wire loop snares suspended over a squirrel limb run?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »
Have you seen the one with wire loop snares suspended over a squirrel limb run?

Yeah, i've done that!  i always find the wire snare loop a bit extreme for squirrels.  Fishing line 10lb test has always worked pretty good. 

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »
Yeah, i've done that!  i always find the wire snare loop a bit extreme for squirrels.  Fishing line 10lb test has always worked pretty good. 
never snared a squirrel, never needed to do it, but i have trapped them accidentally with live traps and the like.. and if you are gonna snare, then i would not think anything is too extreme
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Duneman101

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
never snared a squirrel, never needed to do it, but i have trapped them accidentally with live traps and the like.. and if you are gonna snare, then i would not think anything is too extreme

Well said sir, guess i just always use what i have with me, and i always have fishing line. 

Offline Morax

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »
Well said sir, guess i just always use what i have with me, and i always have fishing line. 
sir? you trying to get on my bad side?  i work for a living man...

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »
That's pretty cool!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

I've never thought about snaring a squirrel either. I'm not even sure it's legal here.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
i dont think it is here either, but its one of those "good to know" things just in case its needed

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
Kinda like the video where some guys had made a squirrel sling shot out of a collender (sp?) and some surgical tubing.  O0  I'll have to see if I can find it.  ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
Found it.  O0

squirrel Launcher!!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments