November 22, 2017, 09:45:57 AM

Author Topic: Moose Camp 2010..  (Read 3276 times)

Offline walleyes

• Warning,, I don't call 911 !!
Moose Camp 2010..
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »
Well guys just back from moose camp a few days ago.. It was another successful year for us,, almost a little to successful,, nah.. I say almost to successful because the hunting ended a little early.. This year it was just my oldest son Jesse and myself..

We got to camp on Frid Oct 1st. We got to our camp site around 11:00 a:m and had camp all set up complete with wood and water by 2:30 p:m. After a light bite to eat we got our gear together and decided to head out for a little scout around some of our close by calling spots. We left camp about 4:30 and were down the line about 2 miles when we came over a rise and yup you guessed it a young bull. We stopped and glassed him over but would you believe it we let him walk.. Now this is the first time in 30 years of moose hunting I have let a bull walk when we had a tag in the pocket. But it was 5 min into our hunt and he was kind of a skinny looking little bugger. Jesse and I weren't to sure about ourselves on that decision but felt confident we would be all right,, we had a week to hunt. So on the trail we go. We stopped at a few spots along the way and checked out the sign all looked good with good sign of a few bulls in the area.

About 6:00 p:m we rolled onto a lease we call at frequently and stopped for an evening call. We gave it about 10 min to settle down and really weren't that serous. Kind of talked a bit and rustled around in the quad boxes. Anyways Jesse gives one call. Then we chat a bit more very quite of course. 15 min pass and Jesse gives it another call. Soon as He is done his sequence we hear a stick brake,, we listen then another this time it is clear we have action. 5 sec later we caught a horn and a bull through the trees but he is coming on the down wind side about 150 yards away. It stops in some thick cover just before stepping out on the line and I tell Jesse he winded us and is going to scram. Nope about 15 sec and out he comes,,, broad side about 150 yrds.. We give him a quick look over a we both know he is a decent bull for us and Jesse lets him have it with the .280.. The bull lunges and scrambles into the bush.. We know he is hit good. Couple high fives and we go check him out,, yup there he is about 20 feet off the line down..

We were both very happy with the bull but at the same time a little disappointed because we knew our hunt was over the first day. We had so many plans for the week but they were over.. We were both hoping for a bigger animal this year and I know a guy may never kill a hog if you shoot the first moose you see but for us when it comes to moose hunting the meat is our number one priority and I have spent many a day out there and come home with nothing. We both know this so were happy with our decision.

We spent another 3 days in camp just camping and hanging out and letting the meat hang and cure and making plans for next year. We did notice quite a few wolf tracks this year and we set up 2 baits with the guts and hide and what not but unfortunately had no hits..

All in all another great year in moose camp..

Here are a few pics..

Jesse and his bull.. Quite the year my son is having. A few weeks ago he shot a 171" whity his first night in the tree stand and then this bull our first night..

Sorry got to get my big mug in here to..

Couple shots of my camp..

Some beef on the grill..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:40:12 PM by walleyes »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Moose Camp 2010..
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 That is OUTSTANDING, walleyes! Nice moose!
And about yer mug, you are stuck with it!  ;D  ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »
That is awesome!  I'm jealous! O0 O0

BBF

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Being I have the Wild TV channel I do watch the trophy hunters once in a while.
I( we hunt) for the same reason you do.  M E A T !!

I am happy every time I see a film were the hunter passes up a shot because the animal isn't big enough or hasn't got as many points/spread as he wants and he goes home.............. E M P T Y !!   :) O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Congrats walleyes!  O0  It's nice to get a big set of antlers/horns, but I've yet to find a good way to cook them things.  :wink: ;D  Any adult animal taken legally is a trophy in my book.  :)

Hunting is about getting out and having fun with good friends.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Hooks

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
A .280 will kill a moose?? 

J/K, i love to see big game killed with a tried and true caliber rather than some whiz bang magnum.

Nice pics, looks like a great time.  I've never had the opportunity to hunt moose, but maybe one day...

Congrats to you and your son.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »
Those are some big squirrels! :D ;D :twisted: :roll: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline walleyes

• Warning,, I don't call 911 !!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
Hey thx for the comments guys..

Living up in the cold north does have its good points at times thats for sure.. I know that at times my family and I take for granted the opportunities we have when it comes to the outdoors especially hunting. But we do try and remember how fortunate we are.

As far as the old .280 for moose,, more than enough gun.. I hunted with a .270 for 20 years probably put close to as many moose on the ground with that old Remi heck of a gun. About 8 years ago I bought a .300 R.U.M.  and packed that for a while and yah its a hell of a gun gun but way to much.. Last year I put it in the gun cabinet and thats where it may stay. I started using a beauty of a 30.06 that I have instead.. A way nicer gun to shoot..

Remember boys never compensate accuracy for size.. Its not the size of the hole in the lungs that kills but rather just the hole.. A hole in the lungs from a small gun will kill a moose just as fast as a hole from a big magnum,, there is no difference..

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:12 AM »
  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Nicely said, walleyes! I hunted a lot of years with both the .270 and the '06, both great rounds.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline steeliebob

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
Nice job!!!! Sweet the freezer is full. Hope that you hung the antlers for the PETA's to get a good look.

Facebook Comments