November 24, 2017, 05:22:04 PM

Author Topic: No love here for the .22?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Hooks

No love here for the .22?
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
Looks like I'm in the minority here.  I prefer a .22 over a .17.  Seems like everyone here is raving about their .17s, but haven't seen anything on the .22 yet. 

I'm getting ready to purchase a new model 70 featherweight, and might just be able to talk my dealer into throwing a .17 in at a great price without the wife knowing.  Let's hear some reasons why I should, and why I'll like it more than my .22.

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
Re: No love here for the .22?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
Well your not the only one that likes the 22 here. The 17hmr gives better range and has accuracy over the 22lr. Also has lots of power over the 22lr. I am using my 22mag this year and the only reason i dont use my 22 is it is open sights and is in to good of condition to put a scope on it with killing the value.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:31:53 PM by fuzztsimmers »
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Well your not the only one that likes the 22 here. It gives better range and has accuracy over the 22lr. Also has lots of power over the 22lr. I am using my 22mag this year and the only reason i dont use my 22 is it is open sights and is in to good of condition to put a scope on it with killing the value.
read this 3 times still dont understand it..

i have a .22 marlin and downright love it topped with a 3x9 its a squirrel sniper rifle, then i bought the .17hmr topped it with a 6x40 and that thing really reaches out there and touches the little buggers. AND with it i can turn and take a ground hog at 75 yards with no worry of run off, so its basically the 22 on juice. but i will always have a soft spot for the ol  double deuce...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
Which part do you get morax. I like the 22lr but not going to drill up a 1940s remington 512 for a scope. So my options are a marlin 917 with a crap trigger, shotgun or my 22mag savage. so i am using the 22mag and the shotgun this year.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline Morax

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »
Which part do you get morax. I like the 22lr but not going to drill up a 1940s remington 512 for a scope. So my options are a marlin 917 with a crap trigger, shotgun or my 22mag savage. so i am using the 22mag and the shotgun this year.

i didnt get the part you edited out ya wanker.... hahahha i had an idea what ya meant but was unsure... and i agree 100% let the ol 22lr alone. use the mag with a scope and the scattergun...

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
Bully for the rifle guys! I prefer my .17 HMR for hunting, even though I still own a retired .22.
With the extra range, power, and accuracy, it's no contest between the two.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Hooks

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:48:51 AM »
I'm not convinced that the .17 HMR or Mach 2 is more accurate.  Range and killing power, most definitely. 

I will admit that in the right hands, a .17 will be much easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges, let's say 100+ yards.  But I don't think you can say that the .17HMR is more accurate than a .22LR.

I may give one a shot, if the price is right.  I'd like to stretch my rimfire capability out to 300 yards.  Hits on my 200 yard plate (6 x 6) is getting boringly easy with my CZ, but at 300, nothing is consistent.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
For squirrel I use the hmr. I also retired my model 60. I used a hmr pistol coon hunting for 2 years. I just recently sold it for a mach 2 rifle. The only thing the 10/22 gets used for is plinking with the wife and her son.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
The .17 has the accuracy at longer ranges over the .22lr but given the right ammo, is not all that much more powerful. Aquila sells a .22lr ammo in solids & hp that travel 1,950fps & carry 204ft/lbs of energy. That's almost on par with the HM2 in a 30gr bullet as opposed to the .17's 17 & 20gr bullets.

I'm still a .22lr guy. If I choose to up the power a bit, I'll go to the .22 Mag instead of the HMR.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Morax

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
well the 17 is suseptable to wind more cause of its size but i would say its accurate enough

Facebook Comments